Question about data base folders between C: and start of database.

Started by rgdudley, February 29, 2016, 05:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rgdudley

My parent database folder on the hard drive is a few layers down on hard drive C:   (another, larger part, of the database is on external drive E:).

Previously, I believe, iMatch did not "see" the intervening folders below C:, but now it had scanned files on some of those folders into the database (I removed those files with "removed from database").   

Those intervening folders should not be part of the database.   The top of the database structure on C: should be "My pictures for Duds database" (see attached image).

So I am wondering how I can get iMatch to ignore files in the inbetween folders (which are part of Windows file structure).   

I didn't notice this previously.... I think that the visible structure within iMatch was just:   Database) C:) My pictures for Duds database.

Basically, I don't want iMatch scanning files in the folders above "My Pictures for Duds database"

(See attached image)

[attachment deleted by admin]
R

Mario

It seems IMatch, for some reason, decided to add parent folders of folders managed in your database.
I think this has been reported once or twice already, but I was so far unable to reproduce this or find out when this happens.
It may have to do with Windows messages, file system notifications, your propagation rules, your Index settings, how you add folders to the database, which operations you perform etc.

Remove the unwanted folders (use the "keep children" option) and keep a close eye on IMatch. When this happens again, immediately secure the iMatch log file and make notes about what you did to produce this effect.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rgdudley

If I right click and the click remove folder, I do not see a "keep children" option.

Could you give me some guidance as to how to remove unwanted folders but keep the children floders?

thanks, Richard
R

Mario

If you remove a folder that has children, IMatch will prompt you with an extra dialog.

Tip: Make a backup copy of your database before you start. This way, you can undo all changes by restoring your database.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook