Renamer to remember last used number for each preset

Started by Mees Dekker, April 25, 2016, 12:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mees Dekker

In my workflow, I use the renamer quite a lot. To be able to work consistently, I created a number of presets in the renamer, mostly using a text and a global number (increased by 1 each step), i.e "Denmark (xxx)", Ducks (xxx)", "Garden (xxx)", etc.

As it is now, I have to look for the highest number used manually and then set the global number to start with the next number. Since the files (that were renamed previously with a chosen preset) can and will be in different folders, it not always easy to find the highest used number for a specific preset.

The renamer keeps the last used number (global numbering), but it would be nice if that highest could be incorporated in the preset.

sinus

I use for this kind of workflow simply a variable, works fine, without looking, what the highest number is.
You could use several variabels for individual numbering, if you wish.

On this way, in my case, each time, I use the renamer, this variables will be increased by one.

See my attachement.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

The Renamer handles one auto-increment number (Global Sequence Number). This number is incremented by the step size you choose for each renamed file.
The Renamer remembers the last number used, which means that consecutive rename operations all produce unique numbers - the variable is always incremented.

I understand that you want any number of individual sequence numbers, for each of your 'object types'. This can be easily achieved with global variables (Edit > Preferences > Variables) you setup and then use in a text/variable Renamer step.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mees Dekker

Sinus & Mario

thanks for the tip: works fine.

One more question: is there a way to have a variable always use a fixed number of characters in order i.e. to have "001" in stead of "1" as a number. A global number does have that option, but I did not see it with a variable?

Mario

Please see the Variables help topic for information about the many options for formatting numbers.

I found the help in less than 5 seconds by

a) Opening the variables help topic and
b) Searching (Ctrl+F) for the word digit

This leads to the variable formatting function numformat which should do what you want.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mees Dekker

Got it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction