IMatch 5 "on top"

Started by DigPeter, May 12, 2016, 06:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigPeter

I run IM on two W7 machines.  On one of them, the main window opens "on top" .  The task bar is obscured and when viewer can only be viewed by minimising the main window.  On the other machine does not have this problem.  I cannot see any difference in the settings. It happens with both v. 18 & 20.  How can I stop this?

Mario

No clue, sorry.

What happens if you resize the IMatch window? Or do you run it in "maximize" all the time?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on May 12, 2016, 06:47:07 PM
No clue, sorry.

What happens if you resize the IMatch window? Or do you run it in "maximize" all the time?
It makes no difference. :(

Carlo Didier

Do you have any additional tool installed that inteferes with the user interface, like Window Blinds for example? Are all display drivers up to date?

DigPeter

Quote from: Carlo Didier on May 13, 2016, 08:02:35 AM
Do you have any additional tool installed that inteferes with the user interface, like Window Blinds for example? Are all display drivers up to date?
Thanks Carlo.  Not that I aware of.  I do no know about display drivers.   IM is the only application where this happens as far as I am aware.

Mario

IMatch has no feature to keep it 'on-top' of other applications (front of the Z-Order). The IMatch main window is managed by Windows, e.g., when you choose to maximize the main window, Windows does that, not IMatch.

IMatch calculates the size of the Viewer window in full-screen mode based on the workspace rectangle returned by Windows. This excludes the task bar area, unless you have configured the task bar to auto-hide. There were once (long time ago) problems with some graphic card drivers which somehow made Windows to calculate that wrong. But that was long ago, like Windows 7.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on May 13, 2016, 02:53:11 PM
IMatch calculates the size of the Viewer window in full-screen mode based on the workspace rectangle returned by Windows. This excludes the task bar area, unless you have configured the task bar to auto-hide. There were once (long time ago) problems with some graphic card drivers which somehow made Windows to calculate that wrong. But that was long ago, like Windows 7.
Another dig at Windows 7? ;D 

This only occurs with IM, so would the graphic card driver affect just one application?

Mario

I dunno. Since you seem to be the only user with this effect, and see this only on one of your computers, the reason must be something specific to that machine. Your guess is as good as mine. It's just that Windows 7, usually living for many years on the same PC often accumulates a lot of 'stuff' along the way...which then cause strange effects with one or more applications.

Since I know that IMatch contains no code which makes it hide the task bar, or put itself on top of other windows (the Viewer does, though) I have no idea.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on May 13, 2016, 03:50:11 PM
I dunno. Since you seem to be the only user with this effect, and see this only on one of your computers, the reason must be something specific to that machine. Your guess is as good as mine. It's just that Windows 7, usually living for many years on the same PC often accumulates a lot of 'stuff' along the way...which then cause strange effects with one or more applications.

Since I know that IMatch contains no code which makes it hide the task bar, or put itself on top of other windows (the Viewer does, though) I have no idea.
Thanks - yes, I appreciate that it is odd behaviour.  I have just locked the task bar and that seems to have fixed it.  Time will tell.

thrinn

If locking the task bar solved the problem: Maybe you had set the task bar to hide automatically?
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

DigPeter

Quote from: thrinn on May 13, 2016, 04:27:45 PM
If locking the task bar solved the problem: Maybe you had set the task bar to hide automatically?
Yes - I do that because it is just a small laptop.