Preference setting to prevent categories from being deleted

Started by ChrisPlak, May 25, 2016, 08:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisPlak

Firstly, I know this is simply me screwing up as a user.  But I would like to request a "Preference" setting to prevent deletion of a category.

What I have run into several times over the past few weeks is I'll be working in one panel, hit the delete key in that particular panel (for example Media&Folders) then IMatch will shift focus to another window, typically the categories view.  I'll hit delete again thinking I'm in the M&F panel.  I blindly hit okay on the very similar confirmation box and then lose my category.

Since categories are sort of the backbone to IMatch, and usually you are just adding not removing categories, it would be nice if there was a preference that prevented the deletion of categories unless, for example, some other special key such as ctrl were held down.  There is no way to undo a category deletion (that I know of) short of restoring the database from an old version, which is fine if the unexpected category deletion was the very first thing I did since my last backup.

Mario

When you accidentally delete a category, press <Ctrl>+<Z> or Edit > Undo to get it back.

I could not repro that Windows makes the Category Panel the active window when I press <Del> in the M&F tree.
Also, when you delete a category, IMatch always brings up a confirmation dialog (there is no "Delete without confirmation" in the Category Panel, only in the Category View).

The ability to undo accidental category deletions and the "Are you sure" prompt should it make quite safe already.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook