IMatch reacts on events

Started by sinus, June 06, 2016, 05:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi
I guess, a lot of IMatch-users has some special important things in the workflow.

Like, for examples
- a folder should not exceed 3000 images, then I will create a new one.
- a folder should have only docs
- a category should have only raws
- a category should be empty (controlling, duplicates ...)
- a category should have only stacks
- in a categroy should not be files with a green dot

In my case I have some such special categories for controlling.
I wonder, would it be very difficult for Mario, to create a kind of "reaction from IMatch on events"??
This would mean, I could say in the category-properties for example, pop up a message, if this category does contains jpgs.
Or, pop up a message, if this category exceeds 5000 files. And so on.

I think, this would also bring some problems for the speed.

But I could imagine, if I would use this feature only economical, then this could be a great way to inform me, warn me from some "limits" in my workflow (things, what I do not want).

Maybe it is possible with the event-scripts, but to be honest, I have never used this "class" and then always a script would run.

Of course this is only an idea, really not important[/u] (and maybe also nonsense), but this could be also a good marketing-tool  ;D (a DAM, what does warn you, if something is wrong).

Well, I do not know, if this is possible and if this makes sense, if you want, you can comment here.  :D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Carlo Didier

Well, you can do some thing with the database events when files are added or modified.
In any case, you could make a checking script which you run occasionally. Only bad thing is that Mario plans to abandon the Basic scripting engine (breaking about 30% of my workflow, but that's another story).

sinus

Quote from: Carlo Didier on June 06, 2016, 10:30:12 PM
Well, you can do some thing with the database events when files are added or modified.
In any case, you could make a checking script which you run occasionally. Only bad thing is that Mario plans to abandon the Basic scripting engine (breaking about 30% of my workflow, but that's another story).

Thanks Carlo,
I will have a look at that.

I have not heard, that Mario plan to abandon the Basic scripting. Hm, I must have missed this.
If he think about this, I do not know, is it a technical reason or financial or both or another reason, but then he take the risk, that some users will look around for other DAMs. Hm, ok, I do not know, how many users does really work with scripts.

For my workflow, it would be also a pity. Because we can do a lot with the native IMatch and also with apps, but there are some tasks, what is easy doable with a script, but not native and not with an app.

I hope really, he will not do so.
Markus

Mario

Markus,

the functionality you are describing is impossible to implement in a generic way.

I mean, some users may want to trigger actions when a category reaches 3,000 files. Other would need a trigger event when the category has more than 1000 JPEG files, or more than 1,000 files with a red label...or when more than 500 files have been rated better than 3 in the past week. Or when too many images are marked as 'in use'.

Or when the metadata quality measures drop too low (not enough keywords assigned, descriptions or titles not meeting the quality criteria etc.).

Triggers and event handling like this is included in some of the high-price DAM systems (Canto, Widen) and there is is set up and maintained by consultants and trained employees. In most cases, it is implemented as batch processes, which run over night. It would be unwise (for performance reasons) to execute the trigger operations every time a user makes a category assignment or changes a title, rating or label. Changing the label may take 0.05 seconds, but running all the triggers may take several seconds and blocking the database for that time...

If you need this kind of functionality, I suggest you pack it into a script and then run the script at convenient times or with a scheduler. This way you can create all kinds of simple or complex tests, and then produce some kind of report.

I have created such scripts for commercial clients in the past, producing HTML reports or updating back-office databases with the results. This works very well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Quote from: Carlo Didier on June 06, 2016, 10:30:12 PM

Only a small fraction of the user base uses scripts. An even smaller number of users writes scripts.

The Basic Scripting engine IMatch uses now is getting very old. The annual royalties I have to pay cost more than all the other development tools, software, components and libraries together! The abilities of the engine for creating UI's are laughable, support for new technologies is not to be expected from the vendor etc. There are many reasons to change this for the better.

Thanks to the technologies I have developed for IMatch AnywhereTM I will be able to replace the old Basic Scripting engine with better system, based on future-proof web technologies like HTML and JavaScript. This will not only allow me (and users) us create better user interfaces for scripts, but also to use a modern language, modern debugging and testing tools (all free, contained in your web browser!) and modern 'web' technologies.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on June 07, 2016, 07:48:09 AM
Markus,

the functionality you are describing is impossible to implement in a generic way.

Thanks, Mario
This answer is good and ok for me.
Finally it is only an idea (came in my mind in the night), what is not important.
If I have time, I can try to create a script, but to be honest, I think, I have not the time for this (if I would be a very good scripter, well, then I would try something).

Thanks for your answer.
Markus

sinus

Quote from: Mario on June 07, 2016, 07:54:32 AM
Only a small fraction of the user base uses scripts. An even smaller number of users writes scripts.

I think so. But in the end, there are maybe more users out there, what uses scripts, also delivered scripts from IMatch.

The Basic Scripting engine IMatch uses now is getting very old. The annual royalties I have to pay cost more than all the other development tools, software, components and libraries together! The abilities of the engine for creating UI's are laughable, support for new technologies is not to be expected from the vendor etc. There are many reasons to change this for the better.
They are crazy to take so much money for such an old technology. Grrrr....

Thanks to the technologies I have developed for IMatch AnywhereTM I will be able to replace the old Basic Scripting engine with better system, based on future-proof web technologies like HTML and JavaScript. This will not only allow me (and users) us create better user interfaces for scripts, but also to use a modern language, modern debugging and testing tools (all free, contained in your web browser!) and modern 'web' technologies.

This are the good news! And I am sure, this will be a very good thing. BTW: Inspired by your fine name "Anywhere" I have named my (important) stick for copies data everywhere with this name.  ;D ;D ;D

Markus