Rename lables does reset all labels in the db

Started by sinus, June 13, 2016, 10:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi
Could please someone check this behaviour, with version 5.6.22?

If I open the preferences, there panel Metadata and there in the box XMP-labels change a Label-name with rename, and close then the preferences, all labels in the database with this changed label are gone.
Quite bad, if we have a lot of this label.
Fortunately I have a backup-system  :D

I wonder, if this is only here or a glitch.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

This setting does not change the labels in your files.
It only allows you to associate a color with the label names you have used in your files.

When you have the label name "Green" assigned with a green color, IMatch will use this color for the label for for all files with that label.
if you delete the label name "Green" from this list, IMatch will have no color for this label name anymore, and hence represent it with no / neutral color.

I gave one of my files the label CARROT (by entering this name directly in the Metadata Browser). Since I have not associated CARROT with a color, IMatch has no way to 'color' the label:

If you look at your files with the Browser in the Metadata Panel you can see that the file has a label, just no color.

This will not change the actual label data in your files. Just if and which color IMatch uses.
If you want to see the actual label text and don't want to use colors, include the XMP label tag in your Metadata Panel layout. This way you can see the actual label name, whether it has a color or not.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Sorry, Mario
unfortunately I was not clear enough, sorry:

Please check my attachements:

1) labels are set
2) open preferences, and RENAME one label
3) after OK ALL labels, where I have changed the name, are gone in the whole DB.

I have done this in the past withouth this effect.
If this is a bug, this can be quite dangerous, because a lot of work could be gone.
But maybe it is only on my computer, then I do something wrong here.
Markus

Mario

Some of your files have the label Red.
You have associated this label text with a red color.
IMatch thus displays a red bar for all files with the label text 'Red'.

Now you remove the color assignment.
IMatch now displays the files without a color, using the special striped label bar to indicate that there is no color assigned to the label.
This can be clearly seen in your second screen shot.

If you look at the metadata of the file, it will still have the red label.

Check with the file window tip or in the Metadata Panel in the Browser layout. Search there for label.

Just in case there was some mysterious problem, I tried it here. And as expected, changing the label color setup will not change the labels in your files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on June 13, 2016, 01:07:32 PM
Some of your files have the label Red.
You have associated this label text with a red color.
IMatch thus displays a red bar for all files with the label text 'Red'.

Yes, correct.

Now you remove the color assignment. 
IMatch now displays the files without a color, using the special striped label bar to indicate that there is no color assigned to the label.
This can be clearly seen in your second screen shot.

No, I do not remove a label, I renamed simply a label-name. The color I did not touch, only the label-name.

To do so I opend the prefs and changed the name of a label (in this case "red" to "Red only RENAMED here").
After ok and closing the pref, all before selected red labels are gone.
BUT you are right, in the metadata there is still the name "red" (note NOT the new, changed one, but the old one).

I would bet, in some versions before this worked, because I have quite often changed several label-names.
Also in the current version, if I change for example a real color (make red, say deeper red or grey or whatever), this works perfect. After closing the prefs, the labels does change the color.

It works only not with names.

If you look at the metadata of the file, it will still have the red label.

Correct, but note the still existing name is the old one (red), NOT the new, changed one.

Just in case there was some mysterious problem, I tried it here. And as expected, changing the label color setup will not change the labels in your files.

And yes, phew, lucky, the "old" labels are still there, for examles in the collections. Hence I can search them and associates them with the new, changed label.
Problem solved.

I think, if I change a label-name in the preferences, IMatch does "not take this changing over to the associated images" (as I would think, it should).
But IMatch does reset the label-color, but does still "hold" the old name, in my case "red".

So, if a user does this, he loses visually all labels with this name/color
(gave me personally a small chock, but I had a backup).
Now, the user must search (for example in the collections) and click on the old labelname and give it the new, changed one.

I did this also again and attached again some more images, so that it should be quite clear.

If this is normal, then all is ok. In this case I did not remember correctly, that this worked in previous versions (maybe 3-4 versions before).

Markus

Mario

This option does only one thing: It allows you to associate a label name with a color.
I've added this because every DAM tool out there, and most RAW converters, use different label names. And different colors.
LR even uses different label names in different languages.

This feature basically a table like

"Red" #ff0000
"Green" #00ff00
"For Print" : #00a0ff

This list is also used to create the label boxes in the Metadata Panel and the drop-down menu in the file window.
Renaming a color assignment in this table will not rename the actual labels in your files! Never did.

To change the label "Red" in all your files to "More Red"

1. In the Collection View, click on the collection associated with "Red"
2. Ctrl + A to select all files
3. Click on the new label you want to assign in the Metadata Panel or pick one from the drop-down menu.
4. If you want to enter a label name you have not configured yet, enter the label directly into the "XMP Label" tag.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on June 13, 2016, 02:51:30 PM
Renaming a color assignment in this table will not rename the actual labels in your files! Never did.

To change the label "Red" in all your files to "More 

Thanks, Mario, for the clarificato!

So in this case my brain does not remember correct. I was sure, this worked in the past.
Sorry for this.

In this case, everthing is ok and to change names, I will do, like you wrote.

Thanks!  :)
Markus

Mario

QuoteSo in this case my brain does not remember correct. I was sure, this worked in the past.
I don't think so. I would remember this and see it in the source code as well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator