Viewer stopped working (opening)

Started by jeknepley, June 22, 2016, 04:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeknepley

Sending files to the viewer stopped working (doesn't open). I select files and regardless of whether I send via the keyboard or the menu nothing happens. I found nothing in Preferences that might explain this & couldn't find anything in Help or the forum. ??

Mario

Please attach the IMatch log file. If there is a problem, it will be recorded there.

Also, maybe just close and re-open IMatch.
Or, restart you computer once.

Anything new installed recently...?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jeknepley

Quote from: Mario on June 22, 2016, 04:23:36 PM
Please attach the IMatch log file. If there is a problem, it will be recorded there.

Also, maybe just close and re-open IMatch.
Or, restart you computer once.

Anything new installed recently...?

Log file attached.

The PC has been started numerous time since this problem began. Ditto IMatch. I even created a new test DB to see if that might shed light - not.

Three programs were updated. Two of them are on both of my PCs and Viewer works on the other so they're innocent. The one unique to the problem PC was an update to MS Office. Then of course, there was IMWS v...12.

Mario

This is unrelated to IMWS, both applications don't even share a single DLL.

I see one warning about an invalid preview image record in the _DSC1354_nc4_pwp.jpg file. Not harmful.

The last image loaded is D300_090129_154104__DSC1326_nx.jpg.
The log file then ends.
IMatch at this time uses 398 MB memory, with a peak of 893.

Nothing unusual, no other warnings or errors logged.
But this log file shows no trace of you opening the viewer at all. Not even the command to open the viewer is logged...
Is this the correct log file?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jeknepley

Yes, correct file.

For comparison, I just now closed IMatch, restarted, selected 4 files and tried to open viewer (1)via enter & (2)via shift enter & (3)via the menu - all to no avail. Successfully sent the same files to slide show with no problem. Then I repeated the above with 5 different files - same result.

The log file for this latest adventure is attached.

When attempting to send to the viewer via any of the three options, I get no sign that I attempted to do anything - visual, audible, nothing. It's like I didn't do a thing. ??

Mario

Can you please enable debug logging under Help > Support?
This way we get more details in the log file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jeknepley

File requested is attached.

Mario

Very strange. This log file shows normal viewer operation, files loading in the background etc.
No warnings or errors.

Did you try to switch the Viewer between full-screen and one of the other modes via <F12>,<W> for example?
Maybe the Viewer window is somehow 'off-screen'?

You can also try to reset your workspace or even set IMatch back to default values:

1. Make a copy of the file C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\config\imatch5.pts while IMatch is not running.
This way you can always restore your settings to your current set.

2. Hold down <Ctrl> while starting IMatch to display the Advanced Startup options. Here, choose to reset your workspace.
Does this fix the problem?

3. If not, close IMatch and again start it with <Ctrl> pressed. In the Advanced Startup options dialog choose 'reset all settings'.
Does this fix the problem?

If not: To get your original settings and workspace back, close IMatch and replace the .PTS file with the backup copy created in step 1.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jeknepley

Quote from: Mario on June 23, 2016, 10:35:50 AM
Did you try to switch the Viewer between full-screen and one of the other modes via <F12>,<W> for example?
Maybe the Viewer window is somehow 'off-screen'?

You can also try to reset your workspace or even set IMatch back to default values:

Reset work space = still no viewer
Reset all = viewer works (but obviously all my settings are gone)

I tried each of the Help manual's F12 options. Eventually between those and temporarily switching the viewer to my 2nd monitor, I have a usable viewer. Later I'll experiment further but, for the moment, getting the viewer back allows me to get some work done.

Thank you so much. You're probably tired of hearing kudos  ::) about how your support is 2nd-to-none, but that's the price you pay for doing what you do.

Mario

Did you by chance close the Viewer on the 2nd monitor and then dis-connected it?
IMatch has no way to know that the other monitor is not connected / on and will restore the Viewer on the same position - and thus invisible for you...This would explain why the Viewer worked accordingly to the log file, but you could not see it...

If you work in one / two monitor setups, make a workspace for each mode. This way you can revert back to the one monitor workspace when you other monitor is off.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator