General IMatch Information Processing

Started by Darius1968, June 25, 2016, 07:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

I have the top node of the Make/Model DD category (the one that ships with IMatch) focused, with a global filter set to restrict output to files of just 100 ISO.  Additionally, I have the show hierarchy turned on and set to all levels. 
My problem is that if I see a file that I send to the viewer because I wish to examine it more closely, when I exit out of the viewer with the keyboard "ESC", IMatch takes several seconds again to recalculate everything again, just as it did when I first established the filter.  Does it have to do this?  Also, I'm finding that whenever I set a global filter, I have to set the IMatch pause policy to "Never Pause", because when I keyboard "ESC" to exit out of the viewer, immediately upon return to the file window, the program goes right into pause mode.  Again, how to fix this? 
I have all options in the program turned off that are about processing in the background, automatically updating DD categories, etc. 

Mario

You cannot change this behavior. The file window reloads to incorporate potential changes done in the Viewer. And when you have a data-driven category focused (which is not re--calculated until there was some change done to the database which may affect the result of the DD cat) and and also a filter enabled, this may take a short  while.

You did not tell us if your database has 50,000 or 400,000 files, how many files there are in the file window (when auto pause jumps in there must be at least 1,000 files visible) etc.  If you have the hierarchy mode enabled you probably show all files in your database in the file window! There is no free lunch, and even IMatch may require a bit of time to sort all this out.

You may improve your workflow by temporarily assigning the files you work with (the filtered result of your data-driven category hierarchy) to a collection, bookmarks or another catgeory, and then work with the Viewer on that. Quick to do, may save you lots of time.

As always, provide a log file in debug mode so we can see how your computer performs, how large your database is, what takes how long, exactly, etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on June 25, 2016, 07:44:47 AM

You may improve your workflow by temporarily assigning the files you work with (the filtered result of your data-driven category hierarchy) to a collection, bookmarks or another catgeory, and then work with the Viewer on that. Quick to do, may save you lots of time.

I do this often, in several situations, this is a good thing.
Because my levels, stars, collections all has a meaning I left only the bookmark "empty" for this.
That is why bookmarks even are not enough for me.

Hence I create some additionals "bookmarks": I created simply some bookmark-categories. That works, is fast and is really a good thing.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Darius1968

But, let's say, I create a so called "Temporary Processing" category, and then assign (in this case, filtering for images of 200 ISO) 3,954 images to that category.  So, I now, switch to that temporary category.  Now, I can't see the hierarchy with respect to make and model.  I wanted to be able to see how many images belong to a certain make/model at an on-demand basis, once the filter is applied.  So, how can I do that? 

Mario

I can't follow. You can do that already with your data-driven category.
We just tried to point out some methods which allow you to work faster with your specific workflow.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

What I mean is that by default, there are two category counts in the category pane, the 1st one is how many files are in that category, the 2nd one is how many files are in the child categories.  These values are static and don't update when a said global filter is applied.  However, in the file window, there is the option to activated the hierarchy view, which in turn, reproduces the tree structure of the category that is currently focused, all complete with updated category counts in each and every category, reflecting the influence of the global filter.  "...currently focused" is key right here because if I assign the images I want to work with / evaluate to a new, temporary category, this new category does not have the child nodes that are in my Make/Model category.  Therefore, if I'm focused on this temporary category for reasons of speeding things up, then when I activate the hierarchy option in the file window, I no longer have available to me, the hierarchical structure of make/model DD category.  Is there anything to do here? 

Mario

The counts in the category tree always reflect the true file counts of these categories.

These counts are not affected by whatever search or filter you apply in the file window.
If you filter out all files in the file window, the file window shows 0 counts, but this of course does not affect the actual category contents.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Darius1968

I know that.  When I am applying the global filter (only photos that have ISO = 200), the number of images in the category hasn't changed, but it is what the hierarchical display in the file window, with the hierarchical button turned on that shows the virtual category counts, reflecting the filter that I want to go by at the moment.  How can I do this when I assign those images to a temporary processing category? 

Mario

You can't have both, sorry.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator