Step in the Renamer "linking to the Metadata-Templates"

Started by sinus, July 17, 2016, 01:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

If the Renamer would have a position, where we could add "let running a Metadata-Template", then this could shorten some workflows.

Means, I would add some normal steps in the Renamer, and at the end I would choose "let run the xxx-Metadata-Template".
Would mean, the Renamer would be processed and at the end (best without showing info) would be processed the wished  Metadata-Template.

Also not urgent, not necessary, but nice to have.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

I understand your request but there can go so much wrong with that, it's not even funny anymore.

For example, when the Renamer finishes and runs your template, IMatch may still be busy with working on the file system changes your Renamer batch has caused. This may even create new metadata, which may render the results of your template invalid. Just consider what can happen if you do moves or copies, buddy file and version processing. Data-driven categories which are based on file names, and metadata templates which use any of this information...

Users may even demand that they can run multiple metadata templates at different stages of the Renamer, causing even more confusion and potential problems which then come back as bug reports to me.

There are so many ways to shoot yourself into your own foot with the Renamer already (if used in the wrong way) and the complexity of using copy/move steps can be devastating when combined with buddy file and version processing. This is all very ugly and I'm quite happy that this is stable and apparently working well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

I see, Mario.

Did not thought, that there would/could be so much trouble.

In this case I withdraw my request.  ;D
I mean, I have no trouble to deal it in several ways.

So, better stable and maybe a step more, than unstable.

Thanks for your detailled answer.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

ubacher

But...... if I understand Mario correctly:
What happens if I start the metadata template manually immediately after the rename?
Could that not just as well cause the mentioned problems?
The only difference would be the time delay caused by the manual triggering.
This would mean that Im works only without potential problems if the operator is slow
enough so that all the renamer work was finished by then.