DropBox files with IMatch

Started by mgharcourt@comcast.net, July 17, 2016, 01:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgharcourt@comcast.net

I would like to use Drop Box for my pictures instead of my HD.  The benefit is that they are backed up as I work. Otherwise, I would have to update my images to DropBox all the time.
Is this a good idea? Can I use Dropbox as my only image storage?

Here is where I need help.
I have a genealogy program that is a multi-relational data base, The Master Genealogist. That program is on my HD. I backup the data to my HD then copy the backup to Dropbox.

There are people who backup their data to directly to DropBox, which means Dropbox is linked to the program. The people who back up directly to Dropbox end up with corrupted data, sometimes not immediately evident.  When DropBox writes, it does not take into account the relational aspect of the database. Or something like that. I sort of understand. Anyway, the backup is only mostly correct, and this is a problem.

The relationship between IMatch and the images is totally different from The Master Genealogist working internally. However IMatch is a database.

Since I do not understand all this, I am asking you. Can I use IMatch when my images reside in DropBox?
Marion Harcourt