Is it possible to allow a RAW editor to become an IMatch plug-in?

Started by Tallpics, August 03, 2016, 03:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tallpics

My current workflow consists of importing a photoshoot of RAW files into Lightroom, deleting the rubbish, then selecting a 'short-list' from the remaining images.

This short-list is then edited using the Lightroom RAW editor. Full size and web sized JPGS are then exported to folders that IMatch monitor. All the original photoshoot files are also moved from the 'Lightroom' folder into the IMatch folder. The original folder is then removed from Lightroom.

Of course this action looses my Lightroom RAW edit but I don't want to keep multiple folders/copies of files. I have more than enough backups already!!

You will see from this routine that I don't use Lightroom for any DAM work. IMatch is so much more powerful.

However I would love IMatch to completely replace Lightroom. To do that it would need a RAW editor... something which (of course) Mario has no time or intention of adding.

So would this solution be possible?

Lightroom always acts as the 'parent' program where plug-ins can be opened... eg: Topaz and On1.

On1 Software are about to introduce an update to their suite called PhotoRaw. It appears that this will allow stand-alone operation, or use as a Photoshop and Lightroom plug-in. It will also offer Layers in the RAW editor - something that is unavailable in Lightroom.

Would it be possible for IMatch to take a 'parent' role and allow plug-ins like PhotoRaw to be used as a 'built in' RAW editor?

Another benefit from this workflow is that the PhotoRaw non-destructive edit would remain available to future updating within IMatch.

I'd be interested to hear if this is possible and whether anyone else thinks it is a good idea.

I feel that this would make the best DAM program the very best 'all-rounder' :-)

herman

In a way this is already possible.

I use DxO Optics Pro and PhotoNinja as raw processors.
I have shortcuts to these programs in the IMatch Favorites panel.

All I have to do is select the (raw) images to be processed in IMatch and then click the raw processor icon in the favorites panel.
This launches the application and the selected images are presented in the filmstrip of the application.

This is not possible with LR simply because it does not behave well.
(one of my reasons to not use LR.....).

Hope this helps,
Enjoy!

Herman.

Mees Dekker

My workflow is as follows: I download all my pictures (CR2) from my camera into a folder on my local C:disk (which is a fast SSD drive). If needed, I then add through Geosetter, the wanted/necessary GPS information.

Since my download folder is monitored by IMatch; all these pictures are automatically inserted into the IMatch database. All sorts of culling, selecting, renaming, categorizing, etc. is done through IMatch and therefore my database is always up-to-date. When I select an image to be processed, I hit ctr-enter. Since I configured IMatch in such a way, this picture will be opened in Photoshop; in this way ACR and PS act like a plug-in for IMatch.  I use PS and ACR as my raw editor, as well as for other postprocessing. You can of course configure any other RAW editor to be used when hitting ctr-enter.

When I'm done processing the picture, I save it as TIFF and/or PSD and/or JPG. They are all automatically made into a version of the original CR2. Propagating metadata from the master to the version will complete the post-processing. Collapsing the version stack cleans up my file window.

The last step then is to move them to my NAS.

Does this help?

Tallpics

Thanks Herman and Mees.

I suppose I should have guessed that IMatch would have some form of configuration available  :-[

In fact I did spend quite some time searching the excellent help file but I was searching for plug-ins and image processing.

You have both given me a few ideas to try out and I think I will be able to remove Lightroom from my editting process :-)

Thanks again for the very quick response.

jeknepley

I access LR from IM and have never had any problems, contrary to an earlier reply to the OP.

My workflow generally is 1) download from camera memory card to a folder, 2) use Downloader Pro to rename files and transfer them into a File/Folder structure that is monitored by IM (original Download folder is eventually deleted), 3) cull out the trash while in IM, 4) select files for post-processing in LR or several other programs and activate them via the Favorites route described in earlier replies, 5) categorize, stack, etc . I virtually never have to leave IM if I choose not to.

This approach effectively makes almost any program that you choose to become an IM plug-in.

Mario

As long as the other applications you use have been programmed to meet common Windows standards and practices, you can integrate them via the Favorites panel. If you execute a Favorite, IMatch uses standard protocols to open the other application and to hand over the files currently selected. How the other application handles this, is up to the other application. Most applications work great, but not all.

Other ways to open selected files in other application is the "Open" command <Strg>+<Enter> - this opens the file with the 'associated' application. You can also drag files from an IMatch File Window to the window of the other application if is running, or to the taskbar or desktop icons. Again, this works as long as the other application implements standard Windows protocols.

Additionally, you can use the 'Windows Menu' via <Alt>+<Enter> in the File Window to open the standard Windows menu you also get in Windows Explorer. This gives you access to commands like "Open with" or Send to..

With <Shift>+<Alt>+<Enter> you can open the "Open with..." dialog box provided by Windows to open the selected files in any other application.

I think this is a good example of how flexible IMatch is. Use whatever method works best with your workflow and applications.

PS.: Regarding your original question: Re-implementing a plug-in infrastructure as provided by LR (to allow for plug-ins) is not only probably technically challenging but would most likely also touch one or more patents held by Adobe. And this makes it impossible for me to do so.

What most people who are not in the IT business don't know: The big companies like Google, Facebook, Adobe, Apple, Microsoft, Oracle etc. file thousands of patents every year, in order to protect their know-how (good) but unfortunately mostly to hold an iron grip on the techno market, keep upstart companies under control and to have something to trade when they violate the patents held by another company.

Patents are too expensive for small companies (about 25,000 to 50,000 US$ just for a European patent), and the big companies have entire departments filing several (sic!) patents every day. From a customer perspective, this will not end well... :-X
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Tallpics

Thank you everyone for the answers and suggestions.

I think my feature request can be added to the 'already available' pile  :-[

Now I'm off to have a play with these 'new' features.....  ;)