Database on NAS

Started by crocothemis, September 21, 2016, 09:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crocothemis

Recently I copied my photo's and Imatch database to a Synology NAS which is stationed at a different adres (my brothers).
Backup and aproaching the NAS works perfectly with Netdrive.
Now when I want to start Imatch and try to open the database on the NAS I get an error. Now I can't open Imatch anymore...(perhaps a firewall isue?)
Is there a way to get Imatch working again and operating the database from the NAS?

Thanks in advance,
Frans

Mario

It would help if you could tell us which error you get (message?)

Check your firewall settings, Can you access the database file and folder from Windows Explorer, for example?
What about access privileges configured on the NAS for the folder containing your database?

1. Hold down <Ctrl> when you start IMatch. This gives you the advanced startup dialog.
2. In that dialog choose to start IMatch without loading a database.
3. Under Help > Support switch IMatch to debug logging. This produces more detailed log data.
4. Open the remote database.
5. ZIP the IMatch log file (see "log file" in the help for details") and attach it.

In general: Hosting image files on a NAS is OK. Hosting a high-performance database system on a remote NAS is also possible, if you accept that a NAS is 100 times slower than a local SSD disk. IMatch does a lot of caching, but when it has to load 50 MB of data from the database in order to produce the results of a filter, fill a file window or update a data-driven category, it will perform a lot slower than normal.

Usually you put the storage files of a database system on the fastest possible disks you have - and NAS is definitely not designed for that. See also the IMatch and NAS systems in the IMatch knowledge-base.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook