Setting: Remove non-existing files from database

Started by MyMatch, September 21, 2016, 11:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyMatch

I checked the settings of IMatch to see if i should change something.

Under "Indexing", i found the option"Remove non-existing files from database" which is *enabled* by default!

If i correctly understand this option, it applies to a Rescan of folders, right?

Does this mean, that i MAY loose files when i restructure my filesystems?
What if i have a different disk at the same disk name ("D:\", "E:\", ...)?

Also, sometime, i just MOVE folders to a new name or location - or prevent things to happen to them.

I fear, that in such cases, IMatch may just remove the files (and any data related to it) from the database!

If this is true, i would strongly recommend to NOT enable this option by default!

In general, i think it is not a good idea to have a default option that MAY lead to dataloss!

Or the other way around: What are the reasons to NOT have this unchecked be default?

ubacher

You are NOT losing files - you are losing the info that Imatch stores about these files.

This is why you should move files and folders from within Imatch!

( If you need to move files around outside of IM you should turn off automatic indexing.
Then you have to do a corresponding "relocate" inside IM to let it know where the files are now.)

sinus

ubacher is correct.

Here from the helpfile:

This option is also on by default. When IMatch rescans a folder it removes files which can not be found on the medium from the database. This cleans up files which have been deleted in other applications.

IMatch will only remove files from on-line folders. If a folder is off-line, it remains unchanged. This prevents accidental removal of off-line resources.

If you move a file OUTSIDE of IMatch (what is dangerous), this file is in IMatch offline, because not here. If you now rescan this folder, this missing file is cleaned from the IMatch-Database.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

What the posters said is correct. You are using a DAM. Don't fiddle with the folders and files and other resources managed by your DAM in other software or Windows Explorer. You may accidentally break things, lose files in your DAM, etc.

This is a no-no. Although IMatch is very forgiving and allows you to use the Relocate Command on disks, folders and even individual files to undo damage you have done by carelessly moving around files which are under the control of your DAM outside your DAM, I consider that you have a close look at your workflow.

QuoteDoes this mean, that i MAY loose files when i restructure my filesystems?
What if i have a different disk at the same disk name ("D:\", "E:\", ...)?
1. Don'.t
2. IMatch handles different media with the same drive letter (removable media, CD,DVD,BR-D drives).
It's all explained in the "File Management" help topic.

You have made several posts today that sound to me like you would try to deliberately break your DAM. Or that you would better not use a DAM at all.

=> A DAM is about controlling and managing your files. If you want to manage your files in Windows Explorer, don't use a DAM.
=> A DAM is about controlled, reliable, safe and standard metadata processing. You are disabling all the features in IMatch which ensure optimal metadata quality, standard conformance and synchronizing between the metadata standards EXIF, IPTC, GPS and XMP. This is not only a bad idea in general, but also makes using a DAM useless and even dangerous.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

MyMatch

Quote from: ubacher on September 22, 2016, 08:10:24 AM
You are NOT losing files - you are losing the info that Imatch stores about these files.

I meant "loosing files from the database", sorry.