Added New SSD and Imatch Configuration for Optimal Performance

Started by kiwilink, October 05, 2016, 10:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

I just bought a new 512 SSD because my older SSD was a 256 and was almost always full.  I migrated everything to the new 512 SSD.  Now that I have 2 Samsung SSD's (One 256 and one 512) I'm trying to decide if I can use the 256 to speed up IMATCH.  Right now (as before) I have the database and the programs on the C drive (the new SSD 512).  I have the actual 83,000 images on a spinning 6GB connected SATA 3 hard drive. 

I was wondering if I should put the IMD5 database on the older 256 SSD and leave everything else on the 512.  The AppData is on the 512 SSD as is the Program Files and Program Data (which is the default when I installed IMATCH).  Maybe I'm getting all the performance I can get by keeping everything on the 512 SSD.

If someone could let me know if they have tried anything different that would great!

Kiwilink

Mario

For spinning disks, keeping IMatch on a disk separate from the disk containing the images gets you some extra performance during import and write-back. Because IMatch reads/writes files from one disk while it read/writes the database on the other disk.

For SSDs this effect is almost zero. Keeping the IMatch database on a SSD with a proper SATA 6 or even M.2 interface is the best you can do.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

I keep my current files (This quarter's) on an SSD since those I work on most.
At the end of the quarter I move the files over to HDD (from within Imatch of course).