Alternate file paths

Started by Carlo Didier, November 11, 2016, 11:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Didier

The new feature to specify different paths for folders depending on which machine the database is opened is really great!
But it's not complete.

Let me explain. The current implementation is fine if you use the same database from different computers through different paths. I have the situation that I access the database and images either locally on my desktop PC or from my laptop through a network path to that desktop PC. Fine so far.

But I also have this situation: On my laptop, when at home, the database and images are accessed through the network path. But when travelling, I use a copy on an external USB disk ... on the same laptop.
So, while accessing everything through different paths, I am still on the same computer.

What I'd like to add to the feature of multiple paths is the possibility to define different paths for the same computer, with iMatch trying to access them in the defined order and using the first one it finds to work.
This might not even need the differentiation by computer.

Example:
I'm at home, on my laptop, and access the images through \\desktopPC\share\Photos\...
I'm travelling and, on the same laptop, I access the images on my USB drive through P:\Photos\...