Using of the hierarchical system, must I check always the last item?

Started by sinus, November 13, 2016, 02:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

I hope, this is one of my last "basic question".  :-[

Please see my attachement.
If I have a thesaurus with some hierarchical keywords; I wonder, can I do, like I have in mind, or is this "forbidden" or make no sense?!

I have a line like
09 Arbeit | Agrar | Tierhaltung | Bauer

Is it now legitimate to use only a fraction of this hierarchical line in the thesaurus?

1) If I check the last leaf (Bauer), the I get the line
09 Arbeit|Agrar|Tierhaltung|Bauer
what is fully correct.
Also the flatening does a right job, it ends correct as
Agrar;Tierhaltung;Bauer (I have excluded the first level)

2) If I want not have the word "Bauer" in my line, I can check not the last leaf, but at the word "Tierhaltung". This gives  me the line:
09 Arbeit|Agrar|Tierhaltung (without "Bauer")
This is also fully correct.
Also the flatening does a right job:
Agrar;Tierhaltung

So all looks fine and correct for me.
My question is simply to be sure:
Is it legitime, to use a hierarchical system and not always check the last item, but one (or two) before.

Background:
If this is ok to do, I can avoid to use to many hierarchical lines. In this case, instead build a line with all professions (Bauer), I can put professions at the end of a sector. If there is a typical image as a profession, I would check the last leaf (Bauer), if not, I would check the second last item.

Last remark: Building a clever thesaurus can avoid a lot of time-consuming work, I think.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

QuoteIs it legitime, to use a hierarchical system and not always check the last item, but one (or two) before.

Sure, why not.

You may assign WHAT|food|vegetables|onion to your files, or just WHAT|food. IMatch does not care. Whatever you pick will be added as a keyword.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on November 13, 2016, 02:38:24 PM
QuoteIs it legitime, to use a hierarchical system and not always check the last item, but one (or two) before.

Sure, why not.

You may assign WHAT|food|vegetables|onion to your files, or just WHAT|food. IMatch does not care. Whatever you pick will be added as a keyword.

Thanks, Mario,

I thought so, but your post gives me much more security than my unsure feeling.  ;D Thanks!
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus