Copy Categoryies

Started by cthomas, November 15, 2016, 10:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomas

I cave a lot of Categories. CanI copy them in a batch? Or do I have to copy them one by one.

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Have you just tried it?

I  mean, you have already selected them all. Why not do a quick Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V to test your theory?
I did it and it seems to work just great. The target category must be a normal (you cannot pase to a data-driven category, for example).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on November 15, 2016, 10:42:04 PM
Have you just tried it?

I  mean, you have already selected them all. Why not do a quick Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V to test your theory?
I did it and it seems to work just great. The target category must be a normal (you cannot pase to a data-driven category, for example).

Yes I have but when I do a Ctrl+C on say Bears and  then I try to select the Buffaloes with a Ctrl+C  I don't get any thing. The ones you see selected in the image I posted. I selected in Photoshop

How where you able to select more then one category and the past it?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

You can select multiple categories on the same level (sibling categories).
Left-click the first, then Shift + left-click the last. Or click individual categories while holding down Ctrl.
Then copy with Ctrl+C, select the target category and press Ctrl+V-
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on November 16, 2016, 09:10:59 AM
You can select multiple categories on the same level (sibling categories).
Left-click the first, then Shift + left-click the last. Or click individual categories while holding down Ctrl.
Then copy with Ctrl+C, select the target category and press Ctrl+V-

I tried these and I can't get it to work. Would you shoe me what I'M doing wrong?

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

What does "not work" mean?
Does IMatch display an error? A beep?

I don't have any problems copying categories. I don't know how to explain this differently. Its just Ctrl+C, click on the category you want to insert below, Ctrl+V.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Let's try this. Its just Ctrl+C, click on the category you want to insert below, Ctrl+V. I left click on GOATS. Then I hold down Ctrl+V. Next I go to down to, Universal Catalog -> Mammnals and left click on Mammnals then hold down Ctrl+V.. But now I don't see or hear anything. Please show me what and how you do this?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

zematima

1 - Left click on GOATS.
2 - Press down CTRL and while it is pressed , tap on the letter C (copy)
3 - Left click on Mammals.
4 - Press down CTRL and while it is pressed , tap on the letter V (paste)

To select several categories do it like Mario wrote:
Then follow steps 2 , 3 and 4.

Mario

Quote from: cthomas on November 16, 2016, 07:37:31 PM
Let's try this. Its just Ctrl+C, click on the category you want to insert below, Ctrl+V. I left click on GOATS. Then I hold down Ctrl+V. Next I go to down to, Universal Catalog -> Mammnals and left click on Mammnals then hold down Ctrl+V.. But now I don't see or hear anything. Please show me what and how you do this?

You press <Ctrl>+<C> to copy. You press <Ctrl>+<V> to paste (insert).
Alternatively, you can use the Copy and Paste commands available in the right-click menu of each category (Clipboard > Copy, Clipboard > Paste).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on November 16, 2016, 08:19:24 PM
Quote from: cthomas on November 16, 2016, 07:37:31 PM

Alternatively, you can use the Copy and Paste commands available in the right-click menu of each category (Clipboard > Copy, Clipboard > Paste).

Mario I don't know what is going on but I can't get this to work either? I mean why can't a person press a key.  >:( 

But I still don't get a copy.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Did you try using the menu commands I indicated?
If you are trying to paste in the wrong spot, the menu entries will be grayed out.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on November 17, 2016, 09:46:41 PM
Did you try using the menu commands I indicated?
If you are trying to paste in the wrong spot, the menu entries will be grayed out.

How do I get to the menu commands?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

I described this above in my reply.
Right-click the category you want to copy, choose Copy from the Clipboard sub-menu.
Same procedure for the category where you want to paste.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on November 18, 2016, 08:41:31 AM
I described this above in my reply.
Right-click the category you want to copy, choose Copy from the Clipboard sub-menu.
Same procedure for the category where you want to paste.

I can't find  the Clipboard sub-menu?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

sinus

Mario described this above, the clipboard is, when you click the right mouse-button:

From Mario above:

Alternatively, you can use the Copy and Paste commands available in the right-click menu of each category (Clipboard > Copy, Clipboard > Past
e).
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Quote from: cthomas on November 18, 2016, 05:51:59 PM

Carl, no offense. But how can you not find a clearly labeled entry in a menu?
That's basic Windows application stuff. IMatch does nothing differently than all other Windows applications out there.

Other users and myself are willing to help, but you have to cover the basic stuff yourself. We cannot help you with tasks like opening a menu by right-clicking your mouse or simple keyboard shortcuts.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on November 18, 2016, 07:30:34 PM
Quote from: cthomas on November 18, 2016, 05:51:59 PM

Carl, no offense. But how can you not find a clearly labeled entry in a menu?
That's basic Windows application stuff. IMatch does nothing differently than all other Windows applications out there.

Other users and myself are willing to help, but you have to cover the basic stuff yourself. We cannot help you with tasks like opening a menu by right-clicking your mouse or simple keyboard shortcuts.

Mario I didn't mean to cause you and others to do extra work.  :( ??? The one thing I have found working with computers for 15 or so years is when people helping each other on line like this we often assume that every body is seeing the same thing. Especially when you have built the program and you know how it is to look. If only you would have showed me how it should have looked it would have save us a lot of work. And I apologize for any hard feeling I may have caused, because I certainty didn't want to cause any miss- understanding.

How can I get my images to show like yours. One above some text and one below some text?

Look at my image and as I said my image does not match yours. So how can I fix this? Or is this something I should know?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

thrinn

Carl,
the Clipboard is only available in the Categories view. You try to use the Categories panel.
The Categories View is available on the the left side (of an standard workspace), right to the Media & Folders view.
The Categories View is more suited to organize your category tree, while the Categories Panel is more suited to assign categories.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

cthomas

Quote from: thrinn on November 18, 2016, 09:39:09 PM
Carl,
the Clipboard is only available in the Categories view. You try to use the Categories panel.
The Categories View is available on the the left side (of an standard workspace), right to the Media & Folders view.
The Categories View is more suited to organize your category tree, while the Categories Panel is more suited to assign categories.

Where is one supposed to find this information? I have searched and searched and searched for this information. Plus hours and hours?  :'(  :'(  :'(
And Please don't tell me to look in Imatch help,  unless you are going to tell me how to find this information.

B.T.W. Please every body don't miss understand me. I appreciate every little bit of help I get from every body. !

How can I find this kind of information. When do I work on the left or right side of Imatch?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

Carl - This is the key concept. The different IMatch Views (Media & Folders, Categories, Timeline and Collections) are designed to give you different overall views of your data, whereas the Panels are designed for working with your data files.

From the Help (I searched for 'Panel'):
QuoteHow Panels Work

IMatch structures the database into four main views: Media & Folders, Categories, Collections and Time-line. Each of these views uses a file window to show the actual files.

Additional information is displayed using separate panels. A panel is an independent window that can be freely movable (floating) or docked to one of the sides of the IMatch application window. Panels are used to show and edit metadata, keywords or categories. There are panels to contain your favorites, file history and many more.

So, as thrinn noted, you'll want to use the Category View if you want to organize/change your categories, whereas you'll want to use the Categories Panel if you want to assign files to different categories. The same concept applies to using other Panels (Keywords, Maps, Favorites, etc.) with your files.

John

cthomas

Quote from: jch2103 on November 18, 2016, 11:45:40 PM

Carl - This is the key concept. The different IMatch Views (Media & Folders, Categories, Timeline and Collections) are designed to give you different overall views of your data, whereas the Panels are designed for working with your data files.

From the Help (I searched for 'Panel'):
QuoteHow Panels Work

IMatch structures the database into four main views: Media & Folders, Categories, Collections and Time-line. Each of these views uses a file window to show the actual files.

Additional information is displayed using separate panels. A panel is an independent window that can be freely movable (floating) or docked to one of the sides of the IMatch application window. Panels are used to show and edit metadata, keywords or categories. There are panels to contain your favorites, file history and many more.

So, as thrinn noted, you'll want to use the Category View if you want to organize/change your categories, whereas you'll want to use the Categories Panel if you want to assign files to different categories. The same concept applies to using other Panels (Keywords, Maps, Favorites, etc.) with your files.

Oh! Thank you; but how in the world do you find this information? I spend hours and even days in the Imatch Help and I still come up empty. Mario say that this is:That's basic Windows application stuff. And that I should know this. And I do know how to use the windows like<Ctrl>+<C> to copy. You press <Ctrl>+<V> to paste but what side of a program <Ctrl>+<C> to copy. You press <Ctrl>+<V> to paste works is not windows stuff. to me only programmer knows.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

Quote from: cthomas on November 19, 2016, 12:24:58 AM
Oh! Thank you; but how in the world do you find this information?

Speaking just for myself, when I started using IMatch 5 I first went through the Help (starting with the Meeting IMatch section) and then I started testing various ways of doing things I wanted to accomplish. The context-sensitive Help is very useful (click F1 when you're working with a particular program element) when you run into a particular issue. It's true that the Help is very long and thorough, which could be overwhelming at times, but I think it's a lot better that the typical lack of help with most programs. Trying things out is the best way to get acquainted with a program.

It's usually good to start with a test database and test set of images/files. If you find you did something you didn't intend, you can almost always undo it (Edit/Undo or Control-Z), and if you're working with test files there's no problem anyway. IMatch 5 takes full advantage of the Windows user interface (better than IMatch 3 did, as it's more modern), and generally works in similar ways to other modern Windows programs, including standard Windows keyboard shortcuts like Control-C, Control-V and Control-V.

Hope this is helpful.
John