Unable delete a keyword

Started by emef, March 07, 2017, 04:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emef

Hello everyone,
One thing that annoys me under IM5 is that I can not delete a keyword (assigned in duplicate, for example).

Attached is a screenshot of the thesaurus, when I try to delete the second name "Kalisto" which is itself under the same name a higher level.

I also join the log, if it helps. Thank you in advance.

Mario

I don't understand. What do you mean with "Cannot delete a keyword"?

What exactly are you trying to do?
Do you try to delete the keyword from a file?
Or from the thesaurus?

What happens?
Does IMatch display an error message?
Does IMatch refuse to remove the keyword in the Keyword Panel?
Does the keyword "come back" when you write-back the file?

Note: Deleting a keyword from a file has no effect on the thesaurus.

The only warning I can see in your log file are many ExifTool warning messages:

String too short for IPTC:Country-PrimaryLocationCode (written anyway)

Apparently the location codes you use in your metadata are invalid?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

If you wish to delete the second Kalysto from the thesaurus, click on the word  in the keyword panel and press delete.  If the unwanted word has already been assigned to one or more files, you should first find them and reassign them to the correct word.  Do not forget to  write-back.

emef

Good evening,
IMatch does not display any error messages. When I try to delete the second instance of "Kalisto" directly in Thesaurus manager, if I click on the little red cross, nothing happens.
The cross is not gray, so it should be functional on the term I select. But no, nothing.

When I try to delete in the keyword panel, the same thing happens, impossible to delete my second name (double under the first).

The only way I could solve this problem is to completely erase the top-level keyword.
So, both have erased, then I recreate a single occurrence of the word concerned and I just have to reassign the photos concerned.

It works, but it's not practical, because the other keywords assigned to the same image were deleted too (location style, event etc.).   :(

TIA.

Mario

Just to make sure:

You are trying to delete the child "Kalysto" under the parent element "Kalysto" in the Thesaurus Manager.
You are not trying to delete a keywords. You want to delete an entry in your Thesaurus.

The Thesaurus Manager does not display an error message but the "Kalysto" just remains?
Did you ty the <Del> key on your keyboard after clicking on "Kalysto"?

You can also export your Thesaurus to a text file and send it to me so I can have a look.
See the explanation in the IMatch help (press <F1> in the thesaurus manager dialog) for info.
I don't recall a similar problem report ever so this may be something that only happens on your machine, with your database and your thesaurus.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

emef

Mario, thank you for looking into my problem.

As I said above, I managed to erase the second occurrence of "Kalisto" by deleting the keyword "Kalisto" from the upper level and recreating a new keyword "Kalisto" ... Phew

But I noticed another problem of the same kind (see the three attached photos 01, 02, 03), under the keyword "02_Quoi / Architecture & Monuments /", I had a common branch "/ Architecture / (...)/Monument".

The problem is that the second-level word (/ Architecture) was duplicated and impossible again to eliminate the double.

I tried to solve this problem with the "Thesaurus manager" and its copy / paste functions, ie. 02_Quoi / Architecture & Monuments / Monument / Architecture / Monument / "under" 02_Quoi / Architecture & Monuments / Monument / " .

Then, after checking that the copy was complete, I finally deleted "/ Monument" which was under "02_Quoi / Architecture & Monuments / Architecture /".
In order to obtain this result: see photos 05.

The only problem is that the keywords of each photo taken under the new word "Monument" remain associated with the old path and that I have to take everything by hand (photo 06).

I tried to export the thesaurus to txt file, but it opens a window containing several lines where I can only choose one at a time.
If I select only the name "Keyword", it sends me an empty file. I do not understand what I have to do?

Sorry for being so long, but my mother tongue is French and I try to be as understandable as possible in English (Google is my friend).

Mario

The Universal Thesaurus in IMatch is a text storage. It allows you to create vocabularies for all metadata tags, not only keywords.

Note: Making changes to the thesaurus has no impact on existing metadata or keywords in your files.
Assigning text from the thesaurus to metadata or keywords is one-way.

If you make changes in the thesaurus, IMatch will not go out and modify the keywords in your files or anything.
If you want to modify the keywords in your files, use the Keyword Panel or the @Keywords category.

For example, to replace the keyword:

A) 02_Quoi / Architecture & Monuments / Monument / Architecture / Monument /

with:

B) 02_Quoi / Architecture & Monuments / Monument /

Solution 1

1. Select all files with the keyword A) in the File Window.

2. Ctrl+click keyword A) in the list at the top of the Keyword Panel to mark it for deletion.

3. Add keyword B) (type it manually or pick it from the thesaurus or one of the recent lists)

4. Save.

This will remove keyword A) and add B) in all selected files. IMatch will update the @Keywords category hierarchy accordingly.

Solution 2:

1. Switch to the Category View and select the @Keywords child category that resembles keyword A).
2. Select all files with <Ctrl>+<A> and then drag the files to the category resembling keyword B).

Don't forget to update your thesaurus manually so it has the structure you need. Then you can use the thesaurus again to assign keywords.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

emef