Started Over

Started by Canay, March 19, 2017, 04:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canay

I could write a novel about why I did this, but it wouldn't change anything. Basically I corrupted my data base. I started all over and created a new database. It rescanned my folder and I imported the category and their assignments. I lost some of the favorites I had set up and at this point out of 58,000 files I have 12,000 unassigned. I could go back and restore backups from right before this fiasco started. I would need to restore my actual folder structure in windows and then restore my iMatch database. I"m thinking it will be easier to add categories to 12,000 files rather than deal with all the restoring.

The purpose of posting this is to remind everyone to listen to Mario. He knows what he is talking about. Do not do major reorganizing outside of iMatch.     

Mario

If you can export the categories from your "corrupted" database, you can import them into the new database. You apparently did.

But if 12,000 files were not assigned they were either not assigned in the database you have used to export the categories or the files where located differently in the new database (other folder layout).
I considered such a situation and the category import provides the Map files via their checksum option. In that case the import does not lookup files via the name and folder, but via their checksum. This also works when the file is in a different location, but it may cause some wrong assignments if two files have the same size and checksum (unlikely!).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook