IMatch 2017 Map Panel Naming suggestions

Started by Mario, May 02, 2017, 03:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

There are two commands for working with Tracks for which I need some naming suggestions:

1. After loading a GPX file, this command looks at all files in the current scope and tries to map them to the loaded track.

After the command has completed, the Map panel shows a message which explains how many files have been mapped and asks you whether or not you would like to see markers for the mapped file on the map. This is just for viewing, checking. No metadata updates.  "Dry run" if you like.

2. The second command also maps the files in the current scope to the track and then updates the metadata of the files with the resulting GPS coordinates.

Both commands ignore files without valid timestamps or files which already have GPS data.

How to name these commands?

1. "Map Files in Current Scope to Track Log"
2. "Apply Track Log Coordinates to Files in Current Scope"

is what I have now. Note that space (length) might be an issue if the user runs the Map Panel in a smallish panel...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

axel.hennig

I like both suggestions.

Just another one for the second command: "Synchronize geo data of selected images with GPS data file(s)"

Perhaps "data" is better than "coordinates" because the altitude is also wirtten to the metadata?

Mario

It's not only for the selected files. It considers all files in the current scope.
"Data" may be better, let's here what other users are saying.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on May 02, 2017, 03:09:26 PM

is what I have now. Note that space (length) might be an issue if the user runs the Map Panel in a smallish panel...

True about the length.
I am not a native English speaking person, hence I do not really "understand" the term "current Scope".
But I know, what it is.
Since this term is quite often used in IMatch I wonder, for native English speaking persons, would it not be enough to say simply "Scope"?

I do just asking.  ???
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on May 02, 2017, 03:09:26 PM

I think #2 is fine. However, for #1 it might be better to incorporate the word 'preview' in the description, because it won't actually record the locations. That kind of wording might better convey the distinction between the commands.
John

Frank

To #2
I would like to have the posibility also to update files with gps data. I may have wrong gps date tacked before. So to have an Option would help a lot.

Frank

Mario

This thread is about naming the commands.
If you have a feature request, please use the feature request board. I'm not checking old threads for feature requests.

My code has an option to also update files with existing GPS data (I use that for easier testing), it's just not yet made an user option...

I have added the option. Easier to do it now, and document it with the initial version.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Frank

Mario thanks. Next time I will add a Feature request.

Frank

ubacher

My suggestion:
1. Show location of files (in current scope) on the map
     (Why else would you execute this command but to see them on the map?)
or: Assign map locations to files in current scope.

2. Geotag files in current scope.