Versions: Unable to propagate "Description"

Started by Aubrey, May 09, 2017, 12:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I cannot get description to propagate when using versions
CR2 is master and jpg is version.

Title appears to propagate without an issue, I wonder if there might be a bug? Though this must be a fairly frequent propagation and somebody would have found it before now.

File CR2.JPG shows the Master set up with both Title and description
File JPG.JPG shows result. We can see that title is filled but not description.
FileRelations.jpg shows how the file relations are setup.

I have applied F4,R and F4,P before writing back the metadata.
I note stars and labels are correctly applied

I set up a new test database with 4 files (2xCR2 and associated jpg's) when I found this was not working in my main database.

Am I doing something wrong?
Aubrey.

Mario

Anything special about the version JPEG. Does it contain 'competing' metadata perhaps, e.g. in some legacy IPTC data set?
I can only diagnosis this when you send me both images and detailed screen shots of your propagation settings.
I can then replicate this here and see what's going on (may take a while, I'm currently in the IMatch 2017 release crunch).

In the past, such strange issues were usually caused by problematic existing metadata in the version files, so this is the first thing to check for (e.g. using ExifTool Command Processor and the "List Metadata" preset).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Reviewed Exif information in the version. The changes had been made.
Issue was therefore how IMatch was updating the metadata.
Went to the preferences>metadata2 and made some changes. Appears to be working ok now.

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Mario

Making "some" changes in  Metadata 2 can have consequences, especially if you bend the system to deal with a invalid file.
Usually the default settings just work - and when they are not, the target file has incompatible or un-synchronous metadata.

Since you did not tell us which changes you did and neither provided us with a sample file which exhibits this behavior, our options to analyze this are limited.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook