Pack & Go failure (and can't upload ZIP file to forum)

Started by DavidOfMA, May 22, 2017, 05:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidOfMA

I recently did some substantial reorganization of my database, so I ran Pack & Go to diagnose and optimize it. I left to do other things, and when I returned to my computer Pack & Go had failed during the optimization phase. I'm running IMatch 5.8.4 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine.

I attempted to upload the log files, but the .txt file is too large for the forum, and when I tried to upload a .ZIP file, the forum tells me that I can't upload that type of file, although it lists .ZIP files as among the uploadable file types. Is there a glitch with the forum? I've uploaded .ZIP files before.

In any case, I could find no errors in the log to explain this failure and would appreciate knowing what I need to do to compact and optimize the database successfully.

Thanks,
David

Mario

ZIP files upload just fine usually.

The problem reported during the diagnosis will be in the diagnosis log file and/or the Pack & Go log file (not the protocol).
You should run a diagnosis and then an optimize on your database in IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DavidOfMA

As I said, the ZIP file upload failed. I tried twice. But, no E> in the diagnostic file for IMarch, anyway. I'll try compacting within IMatch.

Mario

2 MB size max (I pay for the space used by this community and all uploads, after all  ;) )

Anyway, I could only look at it and tell you the same as above. Run the diag / optimize and this will either run OK, or we'll have a log file small enough to ZIP/upload.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DavidOfMA

The ZIP file was only 262KB, so size was not the problem. The error message seemed to indicate that the forum software it didn't recognize that I was submitting a ZIP file. In any case, I'll do as you suggest tonight.

David

DavidOfMA

Just FYI, this is the error message I get when I try to upload the ZIP file containing the IMatch log file:

An Error Has Occurred!
PackGoLogs.zip.
You cannot upload that type of file. The only allowed extensions are jpg,png,txt,zip gif.

David

DavidOfMA

Mario,

I ran the database compact and optimize routine from within IMatch and it failed with a "disk full" error. The disk on which the database resides has 361GB free, and the database itself is only 7.74GB, so that's clearly not the actual issue. I've checked that disk for errors using CHKDSK and found no file system errors, and I also checked that disk for bad sectors - again, no errors.

What else could be causing this problem and how can I correct it? Diagnostics log file is attached.

Thanks,
David

jch2103

Quote from: DavidOfMA on May 23, 2017, 03:03:23 AM
PackGoLogs.zip.
You cannot upload that type of file. The only allowed extensions are jpg,png,txt,zip gif.

I assume the trailing period in PackGoLogs.zip. isn't actually in the name of the file?
John

DavidOfMA

I think I solved the mystery. From monitoring disk space usage while the optimize/compact is going on, it appears that IMatch uses the C: drive, rather than the drive the database is on, for temporary files during the optimization process. Is there a way to get it to use a different drive?

Thanks,
David

DavidOfMA

Quote from: jch2103 on May 23, 2017, 05:36:14 AM
Quote from: DavidOfMA on May 23, 2017, 03:03:23 AM
PackGoLogs.zip.

I assume the trailing period in PackGoLogs.zip. isn't actually in the name of the file?

No, the error message added the trailing period. It's a normal ZIP file with the usual extension.

Mario

Quote from: DavidOfMA on May 23, 2017, 05:43:25 AM
I think I solved the mystery. From monitoring disk space usage while the optimize/compact is going on, it appears that IMatch uses the C: drive, rather than the drive the database is on, for temporary files during the optimization process. Is there a way to get it to use a different drive?

The optimize/compact is an atomic operation of the database system. As far as I know, the database uses the TEMP folder specified on the computer to hold temporary files. If your C: disk is so full that it cannot hold another 10 GB, you should either move the TEMP folder on your system to another disk (not recommended) or free some disk space on C:. Using a disk (especially a SSD) this full is real bad for performance.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DavidOfMA

Thanks. I'm looking into what filled up the C: drive.

Art

Just out of curiosity, do you regularly use a cleaning tool like CCleaner to clean up your temp files directory? Especially if a program crashes there can be some sticky large remnants in the temp folder of crash logs that do not get removed until you use a cleaning utility like the aforementioned CCleaner.

DavidOfMA

Yes, I use CCleaner and KCleaner. Running SpaceSniffer to see if I can find the disk hog. Once in a while some errant program eats up a lot of space and I have to manually clean it out.

Mario

Windows has some built-in cleaning tools (Disk Cleanup) which works well. Cleans TEMP and everything else.

Me, I just have a desktop shortcut for

rd c:\temp

which works nicely.

And, if you recently updated to the latest W10 version (less than 4 weeks ago) your previous W10 version will be sitting around on your C: disk to enable you to roll-back if the new update does not work. Windows deletes the old copy automatically 4 weeks after installing the latest version.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DavidOfMA

I typically schedule a weekly run of a batch file that launches CCleaner and Disk Cleanup, then occasionally run KCleaner, which finds other junk. But, a program crash or Windows update or other issue sometimes leaves garbage files I delete manually. Housekeeping. Easier than scrubbing floors!

DavidOfMA

Quote from: Mario on May 23, 2017, 08:16:10 AM
Quote from: DavidOfMA on May 23, 2017, 05:43:25 AM

The optimize/compact is an atomic operation of the database system. As far as I know, the database uses the TEMP folder specified on the computer to hold temporary files. If your C: disk is so full that it cannot hold another 10 GB, you should either move the TEMP folder on your system to another disk (not recommended) or free some disk space on C:. Using a disk (especially a SSD) this full is real bad for performance.

Hi, Mario. Before I read your message, I had tried moving the TEMP folder to a partition I set aside for other temporary files, and that indeed moved the IMatch optimization temp files to the TEMP partition. What is the problem with moving the TEMP folder to another disk? Besides freeing up space on C:, it also seems to have greatly reduced the size of restore points, allowing me to have more of them before old ones get deleted, which seems to be an advantage.

Thanks,
David

Mario

I don't know of any problems caused by moving the TEMP folder. IMatch does not care, it uses whatever Windows returns when IMatch asks for the TEMP folder.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

thrinn

QuoteWhat is the problem with moving the TEMP folder to another disk?
I am also working with the TEMP folder moved to a non-system disk for years now. Never seen any problems with that. Main reason was to allow for smaller image backups of my system drive.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

DavidOfMA

I only asked because Mario had described it as not recommended a couple of posts back. No problems so far.