Key Words

Started by cthomas, May 27, 2017, 07:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomas

I'm using 2017. And I'm trying to make my 5 Ws into Keywords like this. And also how can I reove these other Keywords that IMatch put in.

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

cthomas

So no body knows how to make keywords?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

It seems your question is unclear.

To add or edit keywords, use the Keyword Panel in IMatch. The special @Keywords categories automatically reflects the keywords in your files.
See the extensive section on working with keywords in the IMatch help for all details, workflow and tips.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on May 28, 2017, 05:58:16 PM
It seems your question is unclear.

To add or edit keywords, use the Keyword Panel in IMatch. The special @Keywords categories automatically reflects the keywords in your files.
See the extensive section on working with keywords in the IMatch help for all details, workflow and tips.

Ok Mario I have spent the last five hours trying to figure out the Keywords and I can't understand how to add or edit keywords. Would you show me a couple of examples how to add or edit keywords. Please?

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

A quick starter:

In your example screenshot, select one or more images (in your screenshot you've selected two). Then, to start, in the Keywords panel, click Where; 'Where' should be added to the 'Enter new keywords here' dialog box. I assume you'll want to create a hierarchy of 'Where' entries, so edit the entry in the dialog box similar to this: 'Where|garden'. (Of course you'll want to use your own scheme here.) Click the check mark on the right of the dialog box, then click the green check mark in the upper left of the Keywords panel. Lastly, you'll need to click the 'pencil' icon in the selected image. Your images will now have keywords embedded in the images. Repeat for other keywords you want to add.

You may find it useful to take advantage of the Universal Thesaurus feature of IMatch (look up that term in the Help), which will allow your to store your own standard keywords, including hierarchical keywords.

Hope this helps a bit.
John

Mario

QuoteOk Mario I have spent the last five hours trying to figure out the Keywords and I can't understand how to add or edit keywords. Would you show me a couple of examples how to add or edit keywords. Please?
In your screen shot, the Keyword Panel is on the lower right. To add new keywords, just type the keywords you want to add where it says Enter new keywords here. Press <Return> when finished, separate keywords by ;

To avoid typing all keywords by hand, you can fill the IMatch thesaurus with a pre-made list of keywords (a so called controlled vocabulary). You can make your own keyword thesaurus, you can let IMatch fill the thesaurus from keywords already in your files, or you import one of the many available pre-made keywords lists available on the Internet.

For more info and download links, please see this article in the IMatch Knowledge Base:

Free Controlled Vocabularies for IMatch

Press <F1> after clicking in the Keyword Panel to open the help. The Keyword Panel is a very powerful tool with many features to save you time, avoid typos etc. It's well worth spending an evening with the help and trying the Keyword Panel out in IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on May 30, 2017, 09:21:01 AM
QuoteOk Mario I have spent the last five hours trying to figure out the Keywords and I can't understand how to add or edit keywords. Would you show me a couple of examples how to add or edit keywords. Please?
In your screen shot, the Keyword Panel is on the lower right. To add new keywords, just type the keywords you want to add where it says Enter new keywords here. Press <Return> when finished, separate keywords by ;

To avoid typing all keywords by hand, you can fill the IMatch thesaurus with a pre-made list of keywords (a so called controlled vocabulary). You can make your own keyword thesaurus, you can let IMatch fill the thesaurus from keywords already in your files, or you import one of the many available pre-made keywords lists available on the Internet.

For more info and download links, please see this article in the IMatch Knowledge Base:

Free Controlled Vocabularies for IMatch

Press <F1> after clicking in the Keyword Panel to open the help. The Keyword Panel is a very powerful tool with many features to save you time, avoid typos etc. It's well worth spending an evening with the help and trying the Keyword Panel out in IMatch.

"How can I download this Controlled Vocabulary and get it into IMatch and use it?"
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

This is explained in the KB article I included in my last post.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Sorry but I didn't see any thing.  I have read through the KB article but I didn't see it. How to down load it and how to get it installed in IMatch. And how to use it.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

P.Jones

Quote from: cthomas on May 30, 2017, 09:46:57 PM
Sorry but I didn't see any thing.  I have read through the KB article but I didn't see it. How to down load it and how to get it installed in IMatch. And how to use it.

Theres 2 links under Free Keyword Lists

cthomas

:-[ "Theres 2 links under Free Keyword Lists" Where?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

P.Jones

Quote from: cthomas on May 30, 2017, 11:12:31 PM
:-[ "Theres 2 links under Free Keyword Lists" Where?

Here

jch2103

Re free keyword lists:

Here's a link to some photo-related controlled vocabularies that, although designed for Lightroom, can be imported into IMatch. At least one of them is free; the others are paid, and mostly pretty specialized. Even the free one is pretty large and may be more than you need, but the links are worth a look.
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/links/keyword-lists-controlled-vocabularies/

But to begin with, you might prefer to just open the Thesaurus Manager (reached from the Keywords panel) and use it to add your own set of keywords, such as items you want to use under your main entries, e.g., Where. The Thesaurus Manage has a whole set of tools to add, delete and search for keywords. Give it a try.

John

cthomas

Thank you for the help. Now how can I download the keyword list. And get the into IMatch and use them?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

Quote from: cthomas on May 31, 2017, 12:28:59 AM
Thank you for the help. Now how can I download the keyword list. And get the into IMatch and use them?

To download the free list, go to https://lightroom-keyword-list-project.blogspot.gr/p/get-list.html but see the FAQ before you do anything else. To download the list, click 'Get the list' and you'll see a new browser window that points to the list on a Google Drive. Use the download arrow on the right side of the screen.

Once you have the text file on your computer, use the Thesaurus Manager to Import the file (it's the last icon on the right in the Thesaurus Manager. Note that it's a text file, so you can open it in Wordpad or some other text editor to see what the list contains and how it's organized. You might even want to make some changes before you import it.

But before you do any of this, I'd recommend trying out the Thesaurus Manager as I suggested in my above post. That will help you get familiar with the Thesaurus Manager before getting caught up in having all those keywords in use. After that, try suing the downloaded file.
John