Write back problem

Started by DigPeter, June 29, 2017, 10:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigPeter

In IM5 a recent problem has developed regarding write back of metadata.  I have been adding metadata to arw and rw2 raw files.  Auto write back is switched off.  When I write back manually, some of the arw files fail.  That is the remain with the yellow pencil and the activity messages about reading and writing back continues.  While this continues the number of files requiring write back varies, say from 20 down to 5, then up to 12, then 20 again, and so on, in what seems to be a continuous loop.  Sometimes the app is locked at other times it is working in the background. 

When I examine the XMP data of the affected files through exiftoolGUI, all metadata seems to be there - e.g title, description, dcsubject.

This is the second day that this has occurred.

A log file is attached.

What is going on?

Mario

Check the ExifTool output panel. Any problems or warnings reported there when you write-back these files?
Which fields does IMatch report when you hover the mouse over the Pen?

The log file reports (for several files):

MD Write-back failed to created XMP file (1) for G:\Digital originals\2017\temp\20170618... Error: 3
This happens when IMatch tries to create the XMP file. Error 3 means: Path not found.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Nothing in the exif output panel.  DC/subject shows when hovering.

I removed the affected files, did a database diagnostic, did a successful write back on a fresh set of files.  I then added back the affected files. The permanent loop has ceased, but these files continually failed to write back. 

I think I have isolated the problem which appears to relate to arw files which have had geodata added in Geosetter form a garmin gpx file.  This was also the case on the previous occasion with a different set of files.   I replaced the affected files with originals which had not been subject to Geosetter and, after adding metadata, including hierarchical keyords,  they write back OK.

RW2 files which have been subject to Geosetter, did not have the same problem.

Mario

Strange. GeoSetter uses ExifTool as well.

And the error was "path not found" when writing the XMP file, which does not indicate a problem with the metadata, but more likely a file system permission issue or something....
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook