Referencing metadata from a file's master

Started by lnh, July 08, 2017, 05:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lnh

I'm trying to create a Metadata Template to quickly assign two metadata fields to a file which initially lacks the data (AFPHOTO of course in it's XMP sidecar).

In particular, the:

XMP::xmp\CreateDate
XMP::photoshop\DateCreated

I'd like to assign the values for these fields from the values in the Master file (normally the shot RAW or JPG) so they show up correctly in the Timeline. So far, I've been manually copying/pasting the values, but a template would be nice. Looking through the help files I couldn't find a way of referencing data from a file's master file. Is this possible?

Note - I suspect this could be done by selecting a broad propagate option in the version setup, but the software puts up warnings when selecting any of those options so I thought it best to handle this as a unique situation.

Mario

You cannot access metadata tags from other files in a Metadata Template.
Copying Metadata from the parent to a version is one of the things IMatch does when you setup versioning and metadata propagation.
Why don't you just copy the XMP data from the master to the version? This includes the date and time.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook