Pack and Go (Smaller Size in the new 2017 Version??)

Started by kiwilink, July 09, 2017, 08:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

Mario:

I may have missed this but is it possible that under the new 2017 the Pack and Go file size got A LOT smaller?

I have attached a screen capture that shows my past Pack and Go's were 24,898,166 and now they are 2,716,996.  Does this look right?  I ran verify and all looks good.

Kiwilink

jch2103

I don't see a significant change in size between my IM5 and IM6 (IM2017) backups. (But I do need to do some housekeeping re my old backups...)

John

Mario

No change in Pack & Go. Same algorithms and format. Should not make any difference.

Make sure you are still including your database in your backup.
And compare the size of the "C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5" and "C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6" on your disk. Maybe some big files were accidentally stored in the "C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5" folder hierarchy and are now no longer part of the backup?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

Mario:

Thanks for the response.  I think I have found out why my previous IMATCH5 Pack and Go was larger than the current 2017.  I think it was because of the previewcache folder (please see the attachments).  Should I have been deleting these folders in the Previewcache?  How do I know which ones to keep and which ones to delete?

Thanks!

Kiwilink

ubacher

Look at the Info&Activity panel. It lists the folder name. One for each db.
Delete the ones no longer needed.
Or delete all and have Imatch rebuild the cache (on demand)

Mario

IMatch 2017 duplicates the entire "Program Data ....\imatch5" folder hierarchy when installing, except  for the previewcache. The first IMatch 2017 version also duplicated the preview cache, but we quickly figured out that this makes no sense. Duplicating a folder holding 5, 10, 20 or more GB not only takes very long, but also wastes a lot of disk space.

IMatch 2017 thus keeps the original IMatch 5 preview cache folder (check: Edit > Preferences > Cache) and Pack & Go also backups the folder configured there.
Do you by chance have installed a the first IMatch 2017 on the 1. or 2. day? In that case you may have to check your cache folder settings and ensure that the folder is configured correctly. Also check in Pack & Go if it backups the correct folder used by your database. Pack & Go lists all backed up folders in the protocol.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

Hi Mario and Ubacher:

Thanks for the reply.   I did what ubacher suggested by looking at the Info&Activity panel and all looks good.  I think that somehow under IMATCH 5 I had several previewcache folders and I don't know why.  If you look at my first attachment named "the1stPackandGo" you can see that on 4/1/17 my .impag Pack and Go file was 24,898,166.  I purchased IMATCH 2017 on 6/1/17 and on 6/2/17 I ran my 1st Pack and Go under IMATCH 2017 and the size was 2,484,103.  I am assuming that 2017 ignored all of the older preview cache folders and created a new one.  My 2nd attachment "PreviewCache2" shows the Imatch5 and IMATCH 2017 previewcache folders.

Mario, you asked about my edit, preferences cache so I attached a screen capture (see the 3rd attachment).  I think I am OK.  Let me know if it looks as if I'm not.

Thanks!

Kiwilink

Mario

IMatch 2017 is configured to use a preview cache under ---\imatch6.
By default, it uses the preview cache of IMatch 5, which would be the one under ...\imatch5
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator