Global Filtering & Image Viewer

Started by Darius1968, July 25, 2017, 01:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

1st, I define a global filter, then I switch to the "@All" Category, which then dictates a wait of about 15 sec., before all of the approx. 1,600 filtered files are rendered in the file window.  All is fine, until I have the 15 sec. wait again, because I simply used the image viewer to examine one of the images, assigning categories, etc. 
I know, in the filter panel, the 1st two buttons are for (1) applying the filter, and (2) either, allowing IMatch to automatically update the database, or only updating, if & when the user depresses the "Apply the filter" button, which is how I, personally have things set, but still, this way, I still have the side effect of IMatch updating right after I've used the view files module.  What can I do to prevent this? 

Mario

I'm not sure that I can follow...

The @All category represents all files in your database.
In order to fill the file window, IMatch needs to load all files in your database. Then it applies whatever you have configured in the filter panel. The outcome is then presented in the file window.

This process repeats whenever the file window is refreshed, and this is controlled by an internal bus in IMatch and can be caused by many events. Interactions between various features, events, file system notifications, database notifications, filter panel interactions etc. can be complex.

IMatch is fast enough so that this does not interfere with the user interaction normally. Unless you work with large amounts of files, e.g. the Database node in the M&F view or the @All category. Even IMatch has limits.

I recommend to assign the files you want to work with (after applying your filter once to @All) into a collection (e.g., Bookmarks) and then work with that. That is what collections are designed for, and why not use them. This way you avoid re-loading all images in your database and re-applying the filter every time you cause a file window refresh.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

Taken from the IMatch Help:
"If you have enabled the Auto option, changes made to the Active filter or the Filter Manager are automatically applied to the current file window. If you do not want this, disable the Auto option in the toolbar and apply the filter manually by pressing the Apply button in the toolbar. This may be useful when you're setting up a complex filter and you find it irritating that the file window always updates to reflect your changes."

How does the above relate to what you describe above, the user performing operations that can trigger a file window refresh? 

thrinn

Your citation from the help relates to changing the filter definition while leaving the base set of files the filter is applied to unchanged (the contents you would get in the file windows without the filter). But if I understand you correctly, you are working the other way round: You set up the filter once, leaving it unchanged for your session. Then you change something that affects the base set the filter is applied to (e.g. assigning a category). As a result, IMatch will recalculate the contents of the file window, afterwards applying the filter again.

If you use one of the many collections instead of the @All category as base set, this recalculation step would not be needed (unless, of course, you assign/unassign from that collection). That, at least, is my understanding.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA