specific help with file relations

Started by kwi_berlin, August 07, 2017, 12:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwi_berlin

I've been a long time IM 3.x user. Although I updated to IM 5.x and to 2017 now, I've never put the versioning features in place. Now I tried to and it works quite well - almost well. Two things are missing.

Here is my config for folder and file naming with all possible variations:

Originale:
1234.nef
1234-1.nef (Raw development in Nikon Capture, then saving the nef-file)
sometimes there are *-1.nef files sometimes not :-)

Versionen:
TIFF:
1234-1.tif
PSD:
1234-1.psd
1234-1_A2_360.psd
1234-1_A5_300.psd
1234 as Smart Object-1.psd
1234 as Smart Object-1_A2_360.psd
_canvas_1234-01.psd
JPG:
1234-1_A5_300.jpg
_canvas_1234-01.jpg

- Sometimes there are subfolders under psd like psd\f, psd\street\f\ff, psd\f\ff\fff. But no more than fff.

Here's my file relations config:
s. screenshot please

All psd, tiff and jpg file found, except the files starting with _canvas

1. How can the expression be changed to find the _canvas files as well?

2. What puzzles me is: the file 1234-1.tif is found as a version of 1234.nef. But it is rather a version of 1234-1.nef
I can live with that but would be nicer to have the 1234-1.nef as the original.

Any idea?

KW

Mario

Your link expression considers only files which start with the same name as the master.
This cannot find files which start with _canvas and then somehow contain the name of the original file somewhere, plus maybe additional characters.
This is a very complicated naming schema you have there. It's always better to keep things simple.

You need to modify the regular expression for your links so they can deal also with file names which start with _canvas.
Maybe start with something like

^(_canvas_)*(_*{name} ... (rest of your expression here)

This allows _canvas_ in front of the original file name.

Tip: You can try your expression and your file names in the Test Tool provided in the Relation dialog.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kwi_berlin

Thanks for help.

Why do you think its complicated. Except "_canvas" its all about "strings after original file name"

KW

Mario

Using file name postfixes is unusual and complicates file name based logic, e.g., version detection. Appending stuff is easy and what most users do.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: kwi_berlin on August 08, 2017, 05:07:20 AM
Thanks for help.

Why do you think its complicated. Except "_canvas" its all about "strings after original file name"

KW

For me all other names looks also normal.
But one file with a canvas as "before" the filename is (for me) special and I see no point for doing this. But of course you will have your reasons.  :)
Good luck.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

kwi_berlin

Yes :-) appr. 500 files I wouldnt like to rename (even if the renamer is a great tool)

And with the expression provided by Mario

it works well.

Thanks for help.

KW

sinus

Quote from: kwi_berlin on August 08, 2017, 04:01:11 PM
Yes :-) appr. 500 files I wouldnt like to rename (even if the renamer is a great tool)

And with the expression provided by Mario

it works well.

Thanks for help.

KW

Nice to hear that it works now for you.
BTW: 500 images renaming ... phew, I renamed 20'000 - 50'000 without troubles several times, that the images fits better in the workflow. But the last renaming is quite some years ago.  :D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

kwi_berlin

I thought about renaming, but now it worked for me.

BTW: Renaming means 1) renaming on production system, 2) renaming on online backup media, 3) renamig on K-Backup media
too much :-)

KW