Images will not be displayed

Started by sinus, September 08, 2017, 03:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Sorry, I do not know, is this a bug or what, hence I write it here.

Never had that, but if I am not totally wrong, a user reported something similar, but I have to rush away just now, unfortunately a photo-event.  8)

Suddenly all images are not more visible except one.
I have attached an image, that you know what I mean.
And the log.

No idea. From a point of workflow. I do this every day several times, not changes something.
Curious.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

BanjoTom

This seems similar to a problem I have also experienced lately.  I still don't know what the cause might be. . .  but I have worked around it only by creating a new folder and indexing the images into it.   
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Mario

Does this happen for all folders or just one?
Switch to another folder and back perhaps?

Did you try to close IMatch and re-open?

The file window has received only 1 file when you selected the folder. This usually only happens if a filter is active or the search bar. Or maybe a stack or version stack - this seems not to be the case,right? The file is not a master or version?

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on September 08, 2017, 04:05:42 PM
Does this happen for all folders or just one?
Switch to another folder and back perhaps?

Did you try to close IMatch and re-open?

The file window has received only 1 file when you selected the folder. This usually only happens if a filter is active or the search bar. Or maybe a stack or version stack - this seems not to be the case,right? The file is not a master or version?

Closing IMatch and reopen I did already.
Changin folder I am not sure.

Unfortunately I am not at the computer.
I will look into it when I am back.
Markus

Mario

Make sure your log file is in debug mode (Help > Support > Debug Logging). May this shows us something.
I could so far not reproduce this problem. It tried 5 databases (old and new) on two computers and a tablet.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on September 09, 2017, 11:33:09 AM
Make sure your log file is in debug mode (Help > Support > Debug Logging). May this shows us something.
I could so far not reproduce this problem. It tried 5 databases (old and new) on two computers and a tablet.

My logfile attached in the first post was in debug mode.
Markus

Mario

The log file shows that the folder has been added to the database or at least rescanned. Did it work before?
The Media & Folders View shows that the folder has 20 files, so it is OK in the database. But when the folder is handed over to the file window, only one file is loaded. Like the filter panel was active or something similar...strange.

I don't see any recent changes in the file window code which could cause this.

Database diagnosis runs without errors or warning?
What happens if you remove the folder from the database and then add it again?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on September 09, 2017, 02:21:39 PM
The log file shows that the folder has been added to the database or at least rescanned. Did it work before?

I rescanned it and it worked before.

The Media & Folders View shows that the folder has 20 files, so it is OK in the database. But when the folder is handed over to the file window, only one file is loaded. Like the filter panel was active or something similar...strange.

I don't see any recent changes in the file window code which could cause this.

Database diagnosis runs without errors or warning?

No filter is active.
This proposal of you, remove and add it again is a good idea.
I will do so as soon as I am at this computer again, I will than report again.

Thanks for looking into this!
Markus

Mario

BEFORE you do this, make a copy of the database.

This is one of those issues where I may need to access the database which has the problem. I see no other way to reproduce this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ubacher

Just had this happen to me. 2017 9.4.
Only thing that helped was to remove the folder from the db and re-index it.

Mario

This information is not very helpful, unfortunately.

What did you do before this happened?
Warnings or errors reported in the log file?
Did the folder show the correct number of files in the Media & Folders View?
Folder in the database for a long time or just freshly added?
What did you try to resolve it?
Filter Panel?
Search Bar?
Stacking?
Did you run apps?

Just a "me too" post without any additional info is only worth so much.
We need to find a way for me to reproduce this. Then I can fix it and all is well.
Until then, no chance.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Thanks, Mario

This worked. All is fine again.
I do not know, why I came not on this idea.  :-[

Diagnosis shows no problems (did also not before the problem).

So all is solved!
If this happens again, I will try to look exactly, what was happen before.
Markus

Mario

Was only folder affected by the problem?

I can envision some potential things that may go wrong and which cause IMatch fail to load a folder into the file window. But none of these things would survive a close /re-open of the database (IMatch shut-down or a diagnosis).

Do you use "Custom" sort profiles or one of the standard ones?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on September 11, 2017, 09:19:56 AM
Was only folder affected by the problem?

I can envision some potential things that may go wrong and which cause IMatch fail to load a folder into the file window. But none of these things would survive a close /re-open of the database (IMatch shut-down or a diagnosis).

Do you use "Custom" sort profiles or one of the standard ones?

Yes, it was only one folder. I have seen this.
I closed/reopend IMatch.
I did a rescan.

Both did not help.
Yes, I use the default- sort - profile, no custom.

Ah! I have again looked at my attachement from this post.
I did a procedure, what I did very often in the past.
Maybe this helps:

1- I was in the categories

2- There I selected 18 images (they were not stacked, this I do later, but the selected jpgs are versons from nefs)

3- Then I did Ctrl C
This Ctrl C I do use not a long time, because before I had a script for copy the selected in this folder. But since this script (VB) works not more, I do use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V

4- Then I changed to the Media/Folder and went into this folder. Before this folder was empty

5- Then I did Ctrl V

6- All copied images are here, fine

7- Then I did rename this 20 images from "20170908-1256-322879-s-coo-raclette-kase_m.jpg"
to "6.010.966_Heumilch_Raclette_Scheiben_ca_300g.jpg". This I did with a renamer-preset, like always

8- After this I selected all and did open D&P

9- Created a pdf-output in the same folder

10- Went out of IMatch (not closing IM)

11- In Explorer I selected all 20 images and the created pdf and made a zip.

12- I sent the zip with ftp.

13- I went back to IMatch.

14- In the mean time IMatch had scanned automatically the pdf and the zip.

15- Then I did some not important steps in IMatch, looking here and there

16- Once back to this folder I have seen, that there images, the pdf and zip are vanished.

17- Only one image is there and this image is the first of the selected (copied) images. (here I am not very sure, if this is the first image)

Closed IM, reopend, nothing helped except your tip (later), move the folder, rescan.

Bear in mind, I have done this very often and since a long time now.
And it worked always perfectly.
The only change I did lately, was instead using a script for copy the selected files in a folder, I used Ctrl C and Ctrl V.

Attached an image from the created pdf with these images, the first image is the only one, what was displayed in IMatch.
Markus

ubacher

In my case I had just created a new folder with images outside of IM.
I then manually re-scanned to load the folder into IM.

Why would a forced rescan not work: Could IM think that the files are already in the db?
That would also explain why a restart of IM makes no difference.
Next time this happens I will look at ways to see if IM actually knows about the images.
(Search, timeline, recently added.....)

ubacher

2017.9.4 64 bit
Just had another case. I created a new jpg file from a dng file. Located in a folder of 42 files.
I then rescanned the folder. The dng file showed up as updating (blue dbl arrow icon) but the jpg file did not show up.
Looking in the timeline the added file showed, also (after a while) in the "today added" collection.

Doing a Ctrl-G on the file puts me on top of the first file in the M&F window.

I did a force rescan on the folder - now all files in the folder show the update icon - it does not go away.

I append the (debug) log file. The files which do not show up in the M&F folder are:

2017-09-08 019.jpg
2017-09-08 019_2.jpg

I hope there are some hints in the log which will lead to finding the cause.

Mario

The log looks normal.
A lot is going on.

Many files are imported, metadata is written back, files are re-imported because of that etc.
No warnings or errors.

I don''t know your propagation rules and stuff or how many files were in the folder, but there is really a lot of things going on in the log, dozens of files are read, updates, read again etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

I think I've figured this out. Geez.

A user contacted me with a bug report about the same problem.
He was able to condense his database to 500MB and upload it for me.

After playing for two hours with that database I finally had a reproducible case where 9 files were in the folder but only 1 was shown in the file window.
I finally tracked that down to the mechanism which removes files hidden by stacks from the file window. This is all very complicated stuff and under some obscure conditions the check removed too many files.

This did not only affect folders but basically all features which load files into the file window. Quite a bug!

Release Notes: 306
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on September 19, 2017, 11:22:17 AM

After playing for two hours with that database I finally had a reproducible case where 9 files were in the folder but only 1 was shown in the file window.
I finally tracked that down to the mechanism which removes files hidden by stacks from the file window. This is all very complicated stuff and under some obscure conditions the check removed too many files.

This did not only affect folders but basically all features which load files into the file window. Quite a bug!

Super, congratulation! Again one nasty and difficult thing away.  ;D
Markus

sinus

Quote from: Mario on September 19, 2017, 11:22:17 AM

Puh, super, that you could track this down ... hat it today again twice.
Seemed to be a nasty one.
Markus