Healthy IMatch gives me a good feeling :-)

Started by sinus, September 13, 2017, 10:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi all
Well, I use from time to time the "compact & optimize" tool from IMatch.
There is written, how many times I had the last time and how long it took.

This gives me a good feeling, because I can forsee a bit, how long my coffee-break can last  ;D and, important, if my file-amount is still ok.

Hence a kind of comparing is very good for me and it gives me some kind of security.

That is the point, why I also often do a "Database Diagnostics" within IMatch.
I can see there, if all is ok or some errors are reported. A fine tool.

Before I do a feature request, I want ask here, if this makes some sense or not.
Maybe it is only me, what would find this good. Then a FR makes no sense.
From the technical point I would think, that this would not be very difficult for Mario to implement, but ok, I do only think so.  ;D

My rough idea:

I have a button or a command or even an app (or even a point in the prefs), where I could say IMatch:

Make a "Database diagnostics", and then close IMatch.
Thats it.

I would not forget to use this tool regularly.

For gives me more security and a good feeling, the next time, when IMatch would open, it would present me a message e.g. like this:

Also as a choice persons like me  ;D could choose somewhere, that IMatch would report some additional information like here:

I could see, that all is OK with my IMatch-DB.
Additionally I could see, that my files, the size and so on seems to be ok. Gives me simply a good feeling.

If IMatch would see (at closing), that there are some problems, it would not show me this on closing, but on opening.
Because mostly then I have more time to solve some problems.

A problem would be a normal message, like the Diagnostic-tool does already, it would report, that IMatch has fixed some problem, but that I should run the tool a second time.
I would do so ... and work further.

When I close IMatch again, the tool would be again run and IMatch would close then. After opening I would see again, if all is ok or not and so on. :D

If I had this possibilty, I would do this for sure.
Because I must not think at regularly let run the diagnostic tool and I would not after opening IMatch, all is ok.

Maybe we could also integrate the "compact & optimize" - tool here, I have not thought about this yet.

So this whole idea I had in the night  8) hence I do not know, if it makes sense.
At the moment I see no negative things for this ... except it would be work for Mario.  ;D

I wonder, what you are thinking of something like this (remember, it is only a rough idea).

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

QuoteI would not forget to use this tool regularly.

IMatch reminds you at least once a week to run a database diagnosis.
And you can run the diagnosis whenever you want.

When IMatch encounters a problem with the database while running, it records that. It informs you about the problem as soon as possible.
When it opens the next time and finds this "problem" flag, it will inform you and tell you to run a diagnosis.
When IMatch shuts-down unexpectedly, it will tell you so the next time you start it, showing a dialog box where you can choose from several options.

This pretty much cover all extreme cases.
Of course this does not replace a proper backup strategy with several weeks of retention time, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly backups. You run a studio, your backup strategy should be reliably and strong.

You can also write an app which runs a diagnosis and reports the results.

There is an endpoint for this: /db/diagnosis
The GET method gives you information about the running diagnosis or the last diagnosis result.
The POST method allows you to run a diagnosis.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on September 13, 2017, 11:25:38 AM
QuoteI would not forget to use this tool regularly.

IMatch reminds you at least once a week to run a database diagnosis.
And you can run the diagnosis whenever you want.

I know.
But I have to wait, in my case runs the diagnostics about 3-4 minutes (incl. optimizing).
If I could hit a button, and IMatch would do the diagnostics and then close, this would be very convenient - and IMatch would not have to reminds me every week.
And, you know of course better than me, what most users does with such a reminder?  ;D

When IMatch encounters a problem with the database while running, it records that. It informs you about the problem as soon as possible.
When it opens the next time and finds this "problem" flag, it will inform you and tell you to run a diagnosis.
When IMatch shuts-down unexpectedly, it will tell you so the next time you start it, showing a dialog box where you can choose from several options.

Yes, I know.
I thought also more at a "comparison" and having a good feeling.
With a quite large DB it is for me relaxing, if I can see, ah, the amount of files has a bit increased, this is normal, the folders are all the same and so on.
It makes me simply feel better.

This pretty much cover all extreme cases.
Of course this does not replace a proper backup strategy with several weeks of retention time, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly backups. You run a studio, your backup strategy should be reliably and strong.

I agree of course, it covers all extreme cases.
I thought only, if IMatch would offer something like this, it would be a nice thing, what I would use for sure.

You can also write an app which runs a diagnosis and reports the results.

There is an endpoint for this: /db/diagnosis
The GET method gives you information about the running diagnosis or the last diagnosis result.
The POST method allows you to run a diagnosis.

Yes, this is a good point.
If I will be once so experienced with JS, I will script something like this for sure.  :D (I did something like this for IM5 with a VB-script already, but without automated diagnostics)
But this will take some time.  ;D

Thanks for your answer.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus