Task search bar makes quicker for choosing "properties"?

Started by sinus, November 01, 2017, 09:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi Mario

Don't get me wrong: this is only an idea.
Sometimes I have some ideas, but without deeply thinked about them, hence I want not create a feature request.
If I see then an answer, why this idea makes not a lot of sense, I know it and that's it.  ;D 8)

I search in the last time quite often.
Since you have enhanced the Task search bar, I use it often.
It is powerful.

But some things makes it (like I work) slower.
I have read the manual  ;D but maybe I have overlooked something.

Some remarks and questions:
1) if I do close IMatch, all my things for the task bar search (like search everywhere ...) are lost and I have them again to choose.

2) For choosing e.g. Search everwhere, Advanced Search, Also search in Attributes, And/Not consider all tags I have to open the dropdown every time and select it.
And finally to be sure I have to look again on the dropdown.

Loooong ago you had in the keyword-panel some icons for "merge or not merge keys" and other things as icons! I can remember, this was very helpful and I could see always, if and what I had choosen.

Would it not be possible to do here something equal? Instead or additionally use some icons, where I can see the used search-properties, with selected or not selected icons?

If so, it would be much quicker and would give much more security.
For example, some searches does take some time. If I did choose the wrong properties, I have to do it again, such a scenario would help me to avoid this also.
I am sure, you know, what I mean, see also my attachement, where I have added some color-fields, but here would come some clever icons of course.

3) The third remark is a bit "curious", but better say something than not.  ;D
If I am in the collections-view (e.g.), and I want do a search over the whole DB, I have to go to Media/Folders (or cat), scroll up to find the DB-node.
Could there not be a quicker way to go to the place, where I can do a search over the whole DB? Going to subfolders or categories I have to go there, of course.
But to go to the whole DB would be fine to have an icon (hmm, on more like in point 2?) or a key or whatever.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

I assume you mean the File Window Search Bar (in the toolbar above the file window) when you say Task Bar?

Quote1) if I do close IMatch, all my things for the task bar search (like search everywhere ...) are lost and I have them again to choose.

These settings are stored as a per-user setting. I just checked and when I make changes in the FW search bar drop-down menu, these settings are automatically restored when I restart IMatch. Do you say that this is not the case for your system?

Usually you set these options only once, and the maybe change them later on-demand.
The state of the option is clearly indicated in the menu.
I don't want to waste extra screen space for additional visual feedback about the options you have selected. This will not be useful for most users.
You may have space left in the file window toolbar on your system / monitor. but try to do that on a 1920 pixel notebook. The file window toolbar would wrap into multiple lines will all your icons, wasting a lot of screen space on small monitors.

QuoteIf I am in the collections-view (e.g.), and I want do a search over the whole DB, I have to go to Media/Folders (or cat), scroll up to find the DB-node.

The search bar always works on the current scope. The only way to search the entire database is to select @All or go the Database node. There is no collection which represents all files in your database.

I wonder why you have to search your entire database so often, starting at the Collection View that this becomes an issue. Maybe some workflow change would solve that quicker?
If you always search the full database to find files, I wonder if you could not organize your files better, using categories, data-driven categories etc. Searching the entire database should be the exception rather than the rule. It's often a sign of a not properly organized database.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on November 01, 2017, 09:32:24 AM
I assume you mean the File Window Search Bar (in the toolbar above the file window) when you say Task Bar?

SORRY, yes, the File Window Search Bar!

Quote1) if I do close IMatch, all my things for the task bar search (like search everywhere ...) are lost and I have them again to choose.

These settings are stored as a per-user setting. I just checked and when I make changes in the FW search bar drop-down menu, these settings are automatically restored when I restart IMatch. Do you say that this is not the case for your system?

Yes, this is not the case here.
I just double checked. There is "Search File names only".
I change this to "Search everywhere" and do a search.
Then I close IMatch and open it again ... there is again "Search File names only".

Usually you set these options only once, and the maybe change them later on-demand.
The state of the option is clearly indicated in the menu.
I don't want to waste extra screen space for additional visual feedback about the options you have selected. This will not be useful for most users.
You may have space left in the file window toolbar on your system / monitor. but try to do that on a 1920 pixel notebook. The file window toolbar would wrap into multiple lines will all your icons, wasting a lot of screen space on small monitors.

I see your points. So no problems for me. I have to use the dropdown, some times several times to change things, and that's it.
No problem, thanks for think about this!
Markus

Mario

Hm.

Tried that. Switch from "file names only" to "Everywhere".
Close and restart. Setting is still "Everywhere".

Are all settings in that menu not saved, or just some?
In which View are you working?
Does IMatch come up with the same view?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on November 01, 2017, 10:28:55 AM
Hm.

Tried that. Switch from "file names only" to "Everywhere".
Close and restart. Setting is still "Everywhere".

Are all settings in that menu not saved, or just some?
In which View are you working?
Does IMatch come up with the same view?

OK, I try it again now:

1) IMatch open, Folder & Media, Database-node
2) Switch from "file names only" to "Everywhere"
3) Close and restart IM again
4) Im opens in the Media & Folder, but NOT in the Database-node, but in another folder (year 2011, I do not know, why there)
5) IN the search-options there is again "file names only"

--------

I try again exactly the same as above, but this time not with the node Database, but with a folder (okt-2017)
This time after restart IM the exactly same folder is open (where I left), but also the search-option is again to "file name only".

Markus

Mario

IMatch saves these settings immediately when you change them, into the storage database.
Can you try to set the settings in another View, e.g. Categories. When you switch back to M&F, are the settings are you did set them in the Category View?
I cannot see any reason why this should not work. Unless your settings database is damaged, but then you would see warnings and errors in the log file, and IMatch would also prompt you during startup.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on November 01, 2017, 11:35:08 AM
IMatch saves these settings immediately when you change them, into the storage database.
Can you try to set the settings in another View, e.g. Categories. When you switch back to M&F, are the settings are you did set them in the Category View?
I cannot see any reason why this should not work. Unless your settings database is damaged, but then you would see warnings and errors in the log file, and IMatch would also prompt you during startup.

First I did just now a Diagnostics-run.
All is fine, no errors.
IMatch close, reopen, just to be sure.

I go to category, change from "search only filenames" to "search everywhere".
Change to F&M, checking, YES, now the search-option is the same like in Categories (seach everywhere)

Back to categories.
Check again, correct (everywhere).

Close IM.
Reopen IM.

I am correct in the category-view.
Checking search - options: again changed to "Search file names only".

Curious, that is works for you.
But ok, it is not that bad, I have to check and change simply everytime (that is why I came on the idea with the icons  8))
Markus

Mario

You can send me your settings database for analysis. The .PTS file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Markus