add an image to several series

Started by kkiel, November 30, 2017, 11:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkiel

Hello everybody,

I would like to put together several images to a series (named 'series-0000123, series-0000124 etc.). One image can belong to several serieses. This is meant to provide a series number to link images with a special theme (like: 'images from this shooting' or 'more dogs ...')

Stacks, I think, wont work because images can only belong to one stack? Categories wont do because I would like to have thousands of series with no hierarchy between them. Keywords are kind of what I need but I don't want the word 'series-0000123' in my thesaurus.
I would be great if IMatch would provide a new series number whenever I mark some images as a new series.
Is there a way to do this?

Thank you very much!

kkiel

Mario

That's quite unusual.

Usually you just use categories for such a thing and be done. Put them all under a 'Series' parent, and then create the individual series below that.

You could also use keywords. Note that IMatch does not by default add keywords you assign to files to your thesaurus. That's a setting you can control via the keyword panel:

There is no 3rd concept in addition to categories and keywords which can group files by some series tag or whatever.

IMatch has auto-increment variables which can be used for various purposes, e.g. renaming files with a unique number. But this cannot be used when you create new categories or keywords. As I said, what you have in mind is quite unusual. You can do it with a custom app, of course. The app could create new series keywords or categories.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kkiel

Thanks, Mario, I'll work with categories then.
Regards,
kkiel

ubacher

I suspect you used series because you had (previous to IM) no categories.
Once you get to see the power of categories (category trees) you will surely abandon other methods.