Recovering Permanently Deleted IMatch Database

Started by Darius1968, December 07, 2017, 11:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

I'm on Windows 10, 64 bit.  I just accidentally permanently deleted my IMatch Database file, and my backup is about a week old.  Is there any way I can possibly recover this file, if I did not have the Windows 10 File History turned on.  I did try to use without success, Data Recovery Pro. 

Mario

If you permanently (not via the recycle bin) deleted the database file, there is very little chance to get it back. Not even with data recovery tools. Sorry.
That's why daily backups, with several weeks of retention, are so important. Anything can go wrong, anytime. I speak from experience.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Darius1968 on December 07, 2017, 11:31:26 PM
my backup is about a week old. 

Ouch!
I hope you've only lost a week of work. Thats bad enough.

I use Backblaze - have done for about 8-9 years. 50 dollars a year. I have 3.2 Tb now on backup in the event of major issue.
From time to time I've needed the odd file when travelling and retrieved it without an issue; so I have good confidence in them. I also back up to local disks!

Aubrey.

Jingo

Quote from: Aubrey on December 08, 2017, 06:41:20 PM
Quote from: Darius1968 on December 07, 2017, 11:31:26 PM
my backup is about a week old. 

Ouch!
I hope you've only lost a week of work. Thats bad enough.

I use Backblaze - have done for about 8-9 years. 50 dollars a year. I have 3.2 Tb now on backup in the event of major issue.
From time to time I've needed the odd file when travelling and retrieved it without an issue; so I have good confidence in them. I also back up to local disks!

Aubrey.

Because of privacy concerns, I do not backup anything to cloud based systems... instead, I use a variety of backup methods to keep local copies..

Nightly backups using novastor from local disks to local disks: Full Backups done Monthly.. Differentials done nightly... Max store 6 differentials gives me a week of backups to restore from
Monthly backups using Novastor to SAN array
Monthly backups of important data to EHDs for fire safe storage...
Clone of OS drive on bi-monthly basis for disaster recovery and/or new SSD purchases
Nightly directory syncs for items like IMatch to IMWS databases and other items that need to be kept in sync.

Once setup - runs like a well oiled machine with no interaction from me (besides monitoring the nightly emails I get to confirm success or investigate failures (typically because a drive ran out of space).

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Jingo on December 08, 2017, 07:11:50 PMBecause of privacy concerns, I do not backup anything to cloud based systems... instead, I use a variety of backup methods to keep local copies..
I had the same concerns, but right now my offsite backup (and you absolutely need an offsite backup!) is through Crashplan. All data is encrypted localy on my PC with my own key before it is sent to their servers. Without my key, even they couldn't decrypt it (not in a reasonable time anyway, and if anyone would want to through enough technical and financial resources at encrypting my data, well, then I would surely have a completely different problem ...  8) ).

Probably other solutions offer similar options.

Mario

Quote from: Carlo Didier on December 12, 2017, 01:26:45 PM
Probably other solutions offer similar options.

Yes. Free software like VeraCrypt or BoxCryptor allows you to manage encrypted "disks" with all standard services like DropBox, Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive. Onedrive is especially attractive because you get 5 TB of storage with a 60€ annual rent for the full Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, ...).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on December 12, 2017, 01:36:23 PMa 60€ annual rent for the full Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, ...).
I'm currently evaluating it (mainly to replace my old Office 2010 Home edition).
How do you use the 5TB? Do you have to split into 5x1TB? It's 1TB/user ... but I would need at least 2TB together (as one user).

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator