GPS Tracks

Started by Frank, December 09, 2017, 11:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Imatch now supports GPS Tracks in a good way.

One enhancement so far is that I would like to get is to see all WAYPOINTS within the GPS Track to be able to add a picture to one spezific Point. See Picture 1.
Another enhancement is to be able to visualize only a part of the the whole Track. for better visualisation and navigation within a track See Picture_2.
And the last thing I would like to have is a way to synchronize pictures within a timeframe See Picture_3.

regards
Frank

Mario

This sounds like some rather specialized tasks, which are better done by tools like Geo-Setter? Why re-invent the wheel?

QuoteAnd the last thing I would like to have is a way to synchronize pictures within a timeframe See Picture_3.

You can change the time-frame via the Options for the GPX import (to shift the image times to map your track times). Or is this something different?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Frank

Hi Mario,
this is not a reinvention of the wheel. Geosetter is not updated since 2011 (Official excl. betaversion). In Imatch there is almost everything implemented but this is missing. Therfore I ask if this would just round up the GPS stuff in IMATCH.

The timeshift is something different. Yes you can shift the time currently in IMATCH but within geosetter there is a posibility to add a picture to a period of time.

e.g. If hike it is enough to log every 15secons a GPS log

Now if I take a picture in the middle of the two logs nothing will be found. Therefor the period is necessary for that.

Am I right?

Thanks
Frank

Mario

QuoteNow if I take a picture in the middle of the two logs nothing will be found.

No. The image should get GPS data anyway.
If an image was taken at a time between track points A and B, IMatch calculates the position of the image based on the line between A and B and the time difference.
If the difference between the two points is 30m and 10 seconds, and the image was taken 3 seconds after you passed point A, the image gets the coordinates on the linen between A and B, 9m between A and B.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Frank

Yes thats true. I have tested it.

I use as a gps tracker "IBLUE 747+". I can download many tracks into one single .gpx file. With this I am able to log many tracks of a whole holiday. I just use it if I am on the road. In  a resaurant I do not have it running. After the holiday I would like to add the gps data to all pictures from the gps logger. Because Imatch puts a line between the two tracks it adds the data to a wrong place. Therfore the last requirement is needed to prevent Imatch to add picture to a place where it is not shooten and where the timedifference is maybe a day.

Mario

Well, that's sounds rather specific to me. You can always correct the GPS data of the few images taken in the restaurant manually in the map panel?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Frank

it was just an example but never mind ...

Mario

I understand your point.

But I guess making the changes you require would be quite elaborate (new UI, algorithms etc.). Several work days, probably.

I wonder how many people really see a need for this.
There are some other FRs for the Map panel, but none of them got much support.

Usually you can tell that a FR is 'hot' because it attracts comments and +1 from a relatively large number of users very quickly.
Requests made by one person and with only one or even no comment by other users means: No "must have". Maybe a  "nice to have" or even a "one user only".

Managing multiple individual track logs in a single file, with time breaks between them is probably one of the problems not many users have to deal with. Hence I'm not sure if this will be worth the time and money required to implement it. I'll keep your FR open and see how many other users chime in.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Frank

I do have 3 different GPS logger and all of them puts the different tracks into one .gpx file. Maybe the others did not recognize this so far.

hluxem

+1

QuoteUsually you can tell that a FR is 'hot' because it attracts comments and +1 from a relatively large number of users very quickly.
Requests made by one person and with only one or even no comment by other users means: No "must have". Maybe a  "nice to have" or even a "one user only

I think this case is special. As long as Geosetter is available, users may just continue to use Geosetter. At least I do (most of the time) and I use the function with multiple tracks in a gpx file a lot. With the Geosetter app that is easy enough to do, but it would obviously be nicer to have it all in Imatch and with Imatch I can do video files :>). Amazing that Geosetter is around for that long without an update and still works great with the latest Windows environment. It's certainly a great piece of software just like Imatch.

Heiner

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Frank on December 10, 2017, 10:53:30 AMWith this I am able to log many tracks of a whole holiday.

I also have some very old track files from a Garmin GPS which contain 2-3 tracks, but nowadays I have usually seperate files for each track, because I always backup my tracks from a day every evening to my laptop and a USB disk when travelling. Imagine a 3 week trip and in the middle of the third week your logger goes bust or gets lost ... all your logs will be lost too.
Also, I find it more convenient to clearly seperate tracks in seperate files.

Frank

Hello Carlo,
I do not have all the time my Laptop with me to be able to download the files each stop. This is much too complicate. As long as Geosetter is in place I have a solution. I thougt that it would be nice to be save while using Imatch.

But this was only one requirement out of multipe within my initial post.

Frank

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Frank on December 12, 2017, 02:38:34 PM
Hello Carlo,
I do not have all the time my Laptop with me to be able to download the files each stop. This is much too complicate. As long as Geosetter is in place I have a solution. I thougt that it would be nice to be save while using Imatch.

But this was only one requirement out of multipe within my initial post.

Frank

If you could live with that, maybe you could use a tool like "GPS Utility" to split the track files into seperate tracks: http://www.gpsu.co.uk/ Sorry, I meant GPS Babel: https://www.gpsbabel.org/

Frank

Erik

I am not against using Geosetter (I used to love it greatly), but it has been buggy for the past couple of years, and I cannot solve it.  I switched to using IM recently out of frustration with GeoSetter, and because it pretty much does all the same things.

That being said, a long time ago I thought I wanted similar features to the OP, but they really didn't make anything easier.  For my needs, I ended up liking one GPX per day better than having one for a whole trip. At the ends of the track when photos might be beyond the track (in time), the software would just fix all photos to the end point.  Then I could just correct the photos if needed as one group.  It's not perfect, but I'm convinced there is no such thing as perfect.