Style of File Window Layout Icons

Started by photomy, December 09, 2017, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

photomy

As you know there are two small icons next to each near the top of the file window.  When the mouse arrow is hovered over either icon the same description window statement for each pops up - "Select a file window layout"

If you select the larger box with the grid there is NOT an option to "Select a file window layout". Instead, the window edit panel pops up.  If you select the smaller icon to the right a drop-down menu appears allowing you to select various thumb styles or grid style and also offers a way to enter the same edit menu.

Would it make more sense to combine this space taken by two icons into one icon that is larger (or even just the size of the grid box icon) that shows all of the same choices.  As it is now, the edit menu is used the least and is accessed from both icons.  There seems to be redundancy and confusion and the small box with the arrow is, at least to me, the more valuable and used choice.

Why do I make this suggestion?  Because I switch to different thumb styles or grid look quite frequently as this is very valuable tool and often my mouse does not make it in the very small space with the arrow.  So I waste time closing the edit menu and starting over.

Mario

This is how the 3td party UI toolkit I use manages this. To open a menu, the arrow is needed.
Tip: You can switch IMatch to use larger icons if you have problems hitting the arrow to open the menu.

An alternative would be keyboard shortcuts one can assign to file window layouts. I have a note about this somewhere on my list. As far as I know, there was never a feature request for this so this is probably a non-issue for the majority of users.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook