How to write XMP data?

Started by RobiWan, December 17, 2017, 01:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

Via the Metadata Panel. Just click the pen in front of the tags you want to mark as "modified".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Arthur

@RobiWan

I understand your points. But if you look practically on it, you normally do not change more than a superset of 10 metadata fields looking at all your files. In the very unfortunate case that the xmps are lost, just select all files in database and mark the 10 fields as modified via yellow pen. All the other fields were not changed by you anyway and will be taken from the raw again as far as they are embedded.

Menace

I am not sure, if I get it right. So, when I was wrong sorry about that.

But isn't it all about to repair XMP-Files? You shouldn't delete it. With Exif-Command-Prozessor you can clean up your Metadata and XMPs, easily. I did this, because other software broke my metadata. If you need this, there ist even a thread about cleaning up Metadata. If this is not the point, sorry.

For me this was one of the most helpful tool if something was broken:
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=5336.0

RobiWan

@Mario,

thanks. I'm not sure, but I think that can work

@Arthur,

yes you are correct. But there is another problem(?) - not direct a problem, more a workflow question.
As example - myself or another software hat changed a field in cope of images, and this was wrong.So I can prevent instant change of values in IMatch database by turning off the background update. This work fine. Now I can change this field in IMatch again to modified and write it back.

The workflow question is - how I can tell IMatch - "read/refresh your database entries for selected files from existing XMP files" - if the background update is deactivated?

sinus

Quote from: Arthur on December 28, 2017, 11:20:01 PM
@RobiWan

... In the very unfortunate case that the xmps are lost ...

Yes. Very unfortunate.
If we have a raw-file and a xmp file for this raw, then if we lost the raw-file, this is also very unfortunate, not?

And lost the xmp-file is also very unfortunate.

And I would dare to say, this happens, but happens rarely.
And if it happens, loose a raw or its xmp, then usually we have a backup, right?

And if we have unfortunately lost the raw or the xmp or both and have then no backup, this is really really very unfortunate.
But this should not happen very often.

And if this happens, well, then we have to do the work again.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

sinus

Quote from: RobiWan on December 29, 2017, 06:52:52 AM

@Arthur,

yes you are correct. But there is another problem(?) - not direct a problem, more a workflow question.
As example - myself or another software hat changed a field in cope of images, and this was wrong.So I can prevent instant change of values in IMatch database by turning off the background update. This work fine. Now I can change this field in IMatch again to modified and write it back.

The workflow question is - how I can tell IMatch - "read/refresh your database entries for selected files from existing XMP files" - if the background update is deactivated?

This is again a really very rare situation - from my point of view.
Maybe the help about metadata helps (see attachement), but I do not know it for sure.
Markus

Arthur

@RobiWan I do not know whether it is possible file wise. But it should be possible folder wise. Did not test it so far. But hold the Ctrl key while selecting "Rescan now" from the folder context menu. Select "Reload Metadata". Ensure that "Protect unwritten metadata" is checked in the preferences before doing so.

If it works folder wise, you could create a "Metadata Import" folder, move the files there, update the meta data on that folder only, move the files back. But normally rescaning the whole folder should be OK.

Nordlicht

I've made a short test. Holding the Ctrl Key while selecting "Rescan now" is working file wise.

Mario

This command is both available in the file window (to rescan one or more selected files) and also in the Media & Folders View context menu. In that case all files in the folder are processed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Quote from: sinus on December 29, 2017, 08:07:00 AM
Quote from: Arthur on December 28, 2017, 11:20:01 PM
@RobiWan

... In the very unfortunate case that the xmps are lost ...

Yes. Very unfortunate.
If we have a raw-file and a xmp file for this raw, then if we lost the raw-file, this is also very unfortunate, not?

And lost the xmp-file is also very unfortunate.

And I would dare to say, this happens, but happens rarely.
And if it happens, loose a raw or its xmp, then usually we have a backup, right?

And if we have unfortunately lost the raw or the xmp or both and have then no backup, this is really really very unfortunate.
But this should not happen very often.

And if this happens, well, then we have to do the work again.

Just to add my 2 cents to this long discussion....

20+ year photographer and DAM enthusiast... I've used more RAW editors and DAM programs than I care to admit....  and have NEVER lost metadata from my files.  I have files (on DVD and EHD drives) from 20 years ago that I can still bring into IM and read keywords and other IPTC data that I added a long time ago... I have always backed up files and databases and ENSURED all metadata was written back to the images (or sidecar files) so they are available to whatever software of the day I feel is the right for my needs..... 

20 years ago... thumbsplus.... 12 years ago.. Idimager... today.. IMatch.  Each of these programs not only stored the data in their database - but allowed me to store it in the image.. thus, I can use that same image file today, 20 years later, to update my database and find the image that I need from searches and use the preview created to generate websites, etc.

Not everyone has the same needs... but losing metadata (images files OR sidecars) should just not happen in today's era of automated backup, cheap hardware and redundancy...

sinus

Quote from: Jingo on December 29, 2017, 02:33:50 PM
Just to add my 2 cents to this long discussion....

I can stress your statement.
Basically I can say the same things like you, instead your used DAMs I used Portfolio and a Fuji-DAM (do not more know the name) and LR (LR not long).
Markus