Is it possible to deactivate 'deleting a folder'?

Started by Sweezy, December 17, 2017, 10:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweezy

Hello,
is there a possibility to deactivate the 'deleting a folder' function?

Background: I'm testing iMatch since I wan't to leave Adobe Lightroom. Currently I'm testing the Renamer. I wanted to delete some folders in the database. Therefore I clicked on 'delete'. I was "sure" that I'm only able to delete entries in the database (the root is 'database') and not the files on C:. Now I know better.
I lost approx. 1200 pictures!

Unfortunatly I have no backup of these pictures.
A restore tool managed to restore 221 pictures from the SD (which was already in use). Currently the restore tool scannes C:

Thanks,
Sweezy

Mario

The "Delete Folder" command displays an warning dialog. It explicitly explains that this command will delete the folder and all files from your disk.
IMatch never deletes data without your explicit permission.

I don't think a special feature to hide this command from the menu (or disable it completely) will be useful for many users.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

Are those sub-folders of the database root (and their files) in the recycle bin?  There are two way of folder/file deletion in IMatch:  One way, the contents are completely wiped from the storage, and in the 2nd way, the contents are just placed in the Recycle Bin. 

Mario

IMatch by default deletes via the recycle bin.
Windows is free to ignore this when the recycle bin is full or there are other events which prevent it from using the recycle bin.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Sweezy on December 17, 2017, 10:33:04 PMUnfortunatly I have no backup of these pictures.
I think that was your first and biggest error. There are so many ways to backup your data these days that there is absolutely no reason not to backup. But there are thousands of reason to do backups ...
If you don't know how, just google or ask here.

Aubrey

Have you checked the trash? As Mario says images will end up in trash unless trash is full.

Have you tried a recover of images on your hard disk... Don't download software on your hard disk to do this.   Use another disk.
Very often files are still there only the pointer to the file has been removed.
Aubrey

Sweezy

First of all thanks for the prompt answers! This is great.

Quote from: Mario on December 17, 2017, 11:26:56 PM
The "Delete Folder" command displays an warning dialog.
Yes, I have no doupt about that, I have tested it yesterday just to see the warning which I ignored . However, at that time I clicked on 'yes' without reading. I didn't read since I expacted an warning popup ...  this is a bad habit. But I'm pretty that I'm not the only one.

Quote from: Mario on December 18, 2017, 09:01:25 AM
IMatch by default deletes via the recycle bin.
Windows is free to ignore this when the recycle bin is full or there are other events which prevent it from using the recycle bin.
My recycle bin is nearly empty since the PC is new. The biggest folder in the recycle bin has 16 MB. My recycle bin settings for D: drive is 50 GB. The lost pictures had 8 GB.
Which other events could prevent Windows 10 from using the recycle bin?
At the end you don't really need to answer since I will not click this context menue again!

Quote from: Carlo Didier on December 18, 2017, 04:33:44 PM
I think that was your first and biggest error.
You are absolutly right! There are no excuses, and I have the pain.
Background: I currently migrate from iOS to Windows. I just build up a new PC by my own. And I haven't build up a backup system for my PC yet. These pictures were the first I imported from an SD to that PC. And for what ever reason I did not eaven copyied these pictures to my 2nd hard drive on the PC. All excuses, I know ...  :)

Mario

QuoteHowever, at that time I clicked on 'yes' without reading. I didn't read since I expacted an warning popup ...

I can only recommend to read the warning dialog boxes IMatch pops up for every operation which may cause data loss, deleted files etc.

There are probably 20 or so commands which delete folders, files, categories, delete metadata, overwrite metadata etc. I cannot add features to disable/hide them all, sorry.
There are even key combinations which explicitly suppress the warnings (e.g. <Ctr>+<Del> to delete a file without warning - for users in a hurry).

Luckily, there is always Edit > Undo for most commands. Just not for deleting files or folders (at least not in IMatch) because this is too complicated and unreliable to implement.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Kucera

Quote from: Sweezy on December 18, 2017, 09:35:28 PM
These pictures were the first I imported from an SD to that PC. And for what ever reason I did not eaven copyied these pictures to my 2nd hard drive on the PC. All excuses, I know ...  :)
At the risk of offending you (I know little of iOs) but for the PC there is a bunch of programs on the web to recover erased files from SD cards. I have tried http://www.iuweshare.com/ but that is just one of many.
Regards Emil