iMatch on the Mac using a virtual machine (Paralles)

Started by Nordlicht, December 26, 2017, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nordlicht

Hello,

since iMatch 3.6 I've not used iMatch because I've switched from PC to Mac. At know I'm perhaps coming back to iMatch.

Does anyone use iMatch on the Mac using a virtual machine (Paralles)? What are your experiences?

I'm testing it on a iMac 5k 2017 using Parallels with Coherence-Mode. It seems to be working fine.

My database is located on my local SSD-Drive under OS X; iMatch is installed on my virtuelle machine. My pictures are located on my SSD and my NAS.

Matthias

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Quote from: Nordlicht on December 26, 2017, 09:36:09 AM
Hello,

since iMatch 3.6 I've not used iMatch because I've switched from PC to Mac. At know I'm perhaps coming back to iMatch.

Does anyone use iMatch on the Mac using a virtual machine (Paralles)? What are your experiences?

I'm testing it on a iMac 5k 2017 using Parallels with Coherence-Mode. It seems to be working fine.

My database is located on my local SSD-Drive under OS X; iMatch is installed on my virtuelle machine. My pictures are located on my SSD and my NAS.

Matthias

Hi Matthias - I was using this exact same setup for many months on my MAC... it worked quite well for me but ultimately I went back to Windows full time and gave up the workaround.  The Virtual Machine was great and did a decent job of running IM though I found the speed of my NAS to be the biggest bottleneck and ultimately moved all my images to a local drive for a 5x speed gain.  I will say that the process works... though it isn't an ideal solution given the need to start the VM each and every time you want to access the catalog.

Nordlicht

My actual pictures are located my local intern SSD-Drive. With my actual Mac with 32 GB RAM IM is running great in Conherence Mode.

I'm still not sure if the workaround is permanent. Whereby I will not return to Windows completely.

Jingo

Yes.. I found it to be a good solution when I was on the MAC system.. once I realized that I could do everything I needed to on Windows, I switched back and couldn't be happier.  I keep a small macbook available for client projects that require a MAC..