Stacks & Folders

Started by Darius1968, January 01, 2018, 06:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

I acquired over the last two months, 70 new photos (45 in November, 25 in December).  The set of 45 is in a folder "November", and likewise, the set of 25 is in a folder "December".  Furthermore, because the files in each of the two folders is part of the same photoshoot, I decided to stack them.  I had success here because I 1st bookmarked the files I wanted stacked, and stacked within bookmark view. 
My problem now is that if I simply go to December, I see 25 of the 70 photos unstacked because I don't have November also checked.  Is there a way that I can get to the master file from here? 

Mario

If you stack files from folder A with files from folders X and Y, the stack can only be complete when all files are in the same scope (you select all folders to bring all files which are part of the stack into the file window). Stacking files across folders is possible, but uncommon. IMatch does not load images from other folders just because they are stacked with one image of the folder currently selected.

I suggest you place the files in the same scope by adding the same keyword. Then you can see them all stacked in the corresponding category.
You can also see them stacked when you select both months in the time-line. Or the entire year.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Erik

In addition to what Mario suggested (I actually use categories to identify stacked files to keep from having keywords), what about the stacks panel? 

I believe that if you've selected an image that is part of a stack, the whole stack will show up in that panel regardless of whether all the images are in the current scope.   

Mario

Yes, of course. I did not mention this because I think users know about the Stack Panel...?!
If not, apologies. Lookup stack panel in the IMatch help system to learn about the Stack Panel and the features it offers.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Erik

Quote from: Mario on January 03, 2018, 08:38:14 AM
Yes, of course. I did not mention this because I think users know about the Stack Panel...?!
If not, apologies. Lookup stack panel in the IMatch help system to learn about the Stack Panel and the features it offers.

For any software, I don't think anyone ever knows all the features.  If IMatch doesn't ship with that panel visible or active, there are likely to be a lot of users who aren't aware it's there (even if the use stacks). 

I rely heavily on the version panel (which made me think of the stacks one). 

Mario

Quote from: Erik on January 04, 2018, 05:25:45 AM
For any software, I don't think anyone ever knows all the features.  If IMatch doesn't ship with that panel visible or active, there are likely to be a lot of users who aren't aware it's there (even if the use stacks). 

Age old problem. No real solution for this for any non-trivial software. Or for software you don't use often.

It is all documented and you find the info quickly when you search the help for "stack" or maybe "panels" or one of the other 30 keywords I have assigned to the topic.
(Which is, looking at some of the software products I've recently purchased) is already a novelty. I have yet to find a proper documentation for a smart phone app).

I cannot make IMatch show hints about things and features all over the place because this will annoy users. Like "You have just stacked some files. Do you want to read the help about stacks?"...
Many users don't read the hints anyway because they get in the way of what they want to do right now.

Even if a user has read the help about stacking once (which also covers the stack panel), he/she may have forgotten it when he/she uses it the next time.
Tutorial videos are sometimes viewed, but then the info is forgotten after a while.

Some users use IMatch daily, others use it only every other week.

The only thing that helps is a community like this, where users can ask questions in the form "I'm trying right now to do this, but I have no idea..." and then other users can help. A live expert system, if you will.
I hope that AI-based systems will help us with that in the future. Something that "knows" about the software I'm currently using and which I can ask "How to do this?" and then get an explanation. And also additional tips about related features that may be useful.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator