Assing and remove categories in one splasher at the same time

Started by blinkystar, January 04, 2018, 05:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blinkystar

Hi,

I try to assign and remove two different categories at the same time, combined in one splasher.

Like this:

Assign Category-1
AND
Remove Category-2

in the same splasher.

Unfortunately I can only mention a category (or multiple categories) in the splasher, but can't tell the splasher if to assign or to remove.

Does anybody have an idea how to solve it?

Of course I can do it manually in two steps, but if there are more complex assignments/unassignments, I have to switch between multiple views / panels for the different actions.

Thanks for your help!

Mario

Did you look at the assignment actions available for categories? See the IMatch help for more info.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

blinkystar

Hi Mario,

I checked out the function of the assignment action, however this doesn't help me. With the assignment actions I can force the un-assignment of all sibling categories or of all categories at all, but not just one, and not of another category hierarchy node (only if I select all, what I don't want).

I have the situation (my way of working), that the @builder category shows pictures, which (a) are not completely assigned (category 'incomplete assignements' is set) AND (b) is not assigned to a certain category (let's say 'friends'). 'friends' has child categories like Bob, Susan, Jack, etc.

When I now start to assign a picture to Bob, the picture is not shown in the builder category anymore, as the second condition doesn't match anymore. Even if I would have to assign Susan as well.
Susan and Bob are a couple and show up on several pictures together very often. Sometimes only those both, sometimes with our friend Jack.
Thus I decided for the splasher. Doing this as a splasher, I can assign both at once.
But again the picture is not shown in the @builder category anymore after using the splasher, as the second condition doesn't match anymore. But I still have to un-assign that single category 'incomplete assignment'. I would need to go directly to the the pictures I assigned (of Bob and Susan) and check again if they are now completely assigned to all intended categories (no Jack on the foto too) and then unassign 'incomplete assignment' category from it.
I can't use 'un-assign all siblings' in category Bob as it would also un-assign from 'Susan' category too, not only from 'incomplete assignments' (if this has the same parent).

May be is a request for a feature to say [-] before a category, and the selected picture will be unassigned, default or
  • means assign.

I will twist my brain a bit to find another way as workaround.

Mario

This sounds like quite a special workflow...Hm, not sure if this can be improved.

Please write feature requests in the feature request board.
I don't search posts in the General Discussion boards for feature requests.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

thrinn

I would use a "Assignments complete" category instead of "Incomplete assignments". At the start, this cat would be empty. Define your @Builder on the lines of "Friends NOT Assignments complete". This should show all files in your Friends category.
Now you can assign Bob and Susan either individually or using a splasher.  If you have assigned all people appearing in the picture, assign "Assignment complete" as a last step. The pictures will disappear from the @Builder category.
You can also add the "Assignment complete" to the splasher containing Bob and Susan, having a one-click solution for pictures containing this couple only.
This is the way I work when assigning Family or Friends categories.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

blinkystar

Hi Thorsten,

good idea!

Sometimes the solution is easier then expected.
So I can use just assignments only and don't need un-assignment actions in the splasher.

Thanks a lot! You saved my day!