Generate a data-driven cat. by month

Started by RainerG, January 07, 2018, 05:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RainerG

how can i generate a data-driven category by month over all my pics?

This is the desired view:

- All of my Pics
-- Januar
-- Februar
-- März
-- April
-- Dezember
RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de

JohnZeman

I have a Chronology data driven category that displays files by decade > year > Headline > Month > Day
(See attached screen shot).

It takes 5 levels to create this but rather than trying to explain how each level works in this reply I've attached a second text file that details what it takes to create this.  I know my dd category is more than you asked for but perhaps it will show you how you can do what you want to do.

Mario

Do you really want to group all images taken in January into a January category? For all years? This would be unusual, but is doable.
Just create a data-driven category based on a variable, and use this variable:

{File.DateTime|format:MM} {File.DateTime|format:MMMM}

This produces categories like

01 January
12 December

The number at the beginning ensures that the categories are sorted chronologically, not alphabetically.

If your database is huge the category may take some time to create. Using variables is very flexible, but slower than using tags.

If you don't want the actual month names (Metadata does not contain names, just numbers), but categories named 01...12 would be OK, you can use this tag:

XMP::xmp\CreateDate\CreateDate\0

and set the options Use Part of Value to Yes and set Start and Length to 6,2 to extract the month part of the date.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

RainerG

Great THX :-).

It runs very well :-). I took the variant with {File.DateTime|format:MM} {File.DateTime|format:MMMM}

QuoteThis would be unusual

Yes, but i need it for a calendar-project. For every month I search for pictures that were taken this month.

And I know now which is my most productive month ;-)

It's march --> 8517 pics (ok, about 5500 pictures from two New Zealand holidays;-).

RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de

monochrome

This is awesome! I did a two-level category tree with month and day, and now I have a Throwback Thursday Data-Driven category for "what I did this day X years ago".

Mario

You can of course also see this directly in the Timeline. Per Year, Quarter. Month, Week and Day...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

monochrome

I can? How? I know I can highlight and filter dates in the timeline view, but I can only filter on single levels - for example, I can filter on "18" to get all dates with "18" in them, but not on "January 18". Let's say I want a list of all files on January 18, every year in the DB. How would I do that?

Mario

You select multiple nodes with the mouse and the Ctrl modifier key. Of course if you have 100 years you need to select 100 January 18. nodes. For such unusual stuff a data-driven category is better.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator