Versioning example

Started by HansEverts, September 04, 2013, 07:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HansEverts

For amateurs in regular expressions, like myself, does somebody have an example of versioning from A to Z. From there I can figure it out, but I think I have pretty much tried every combination on the file relations screen, but have not succeeded more than creating a relation of 2 files in the same folder.
This is pretty embarrassing, or am I not alone.

Thanks

Mario

What exactly do you want to do?
Do you have problems formulating an expression to match the master file, or the versions?
Which file formats are you using for masters and versions?
This info will allow us to help you.

For most cases, just copying the example expressions shipped with IMatch (e.g. for NEF files) and changing the .nef to the extension of the RAW format you are using gets you going. If this does not apply to your situation, the above details will help us to help you.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cytochrome

I got good advice and help in this thread

I have now versioning set for nef and raw2 on a file structure with master/raw in a folder and several jpg subfolders.

I even have a reverse versioning (from jpg to raw) but it is tricky and I prefer to use the EPC for such tasks.

Francis

PS The start of this discussion is hectic because I made a confusing between the Link expression and the Replace expression. See the last posts of the thread, I think they explain how it works.

ChrisMatch

If you want to find out why a regular expression is not working
I do find the regex coach very useful: http://weitz.de/regex-coach/

If you have a concrete example that is not working
just post the sample filenames of your master, version
and where (folder) they are stored.
(It is always interesting and fun to find the correct regex  ;) ).

Chris

HansEverts

Thanks for all the answers. However, my problem is not whether I should use this or that expression. I haven't reached that point yet.
I would like to have the basic configuration to see the simplest versioning with a result as encouragement. From there I can take it further, but right now I can not afford that luxury yet.

I have attached a screenshot of my folder layout. The 2013 RAW folder contains only NEF images and the 2013 folder above that contains the JPG version with the same name.
I have also attached the preferences, but I have tried many others. I have not changed the expressions.
What do I do wrong?

I think the relevance of this issue goes beyond me being able to do versioning or not. It is also about which public is IMatch 5 targeting. I am afraid that if for basic functions the user is supposed to handle expressions, you run the risk of scaring a lot of potential clients away from the product and that would be too bad. Would it not be possible that the user can configure the most basic settings him(her)self without any expression, just to get the satisfaction of having accomplished something, before going to the more sophisticated work.

It could be like this:
1) In which folder are your master files: you are asked to click on the folder.
IMatch records the file format
2) In which folder are the files you want to version: you are asked to click on the folder.
IMatch records the file format
3) What versioning criteria do you want to use: name, GPS, etc.
Perhaps a few more questions and then the test, with an explanation if it does not work.
It could finish with the expression that captures the above.

This is what I meant in another message. IMatch 5 is very clever and all who contributed to the support materials deserve congratulations, but for poor swimmers I fear the slope of the bottom of the swimming pool is too steep and reaches the deep water too quickly.

I don't consider myself a computer illiterate, I regularly do database testing at work from a users point of view, but I think there needs to be a bridge between the simple basics and the more extended possibilities. A sort of built in "IMatch 5 elements".

I don't know if I am clear and I don't know if I am alone in this opinion, but I really think it is important to improve accessibility with simple examples, preferrably separated from the more technical text, before asking the user to dive into deep water.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ChrisMatch

Before I try to give you an answer let me clarify one thing:
In your second screenshot the defintion for the BUDDY is shown and not for the VERSION.

Could you show us the one for the NEF version and maybe also give us an example of what
a master and the corresponding version filename looks like?

HansEverts

The master file is called '201308 2061.NEF' and the version '201308 2061.jpg'.

Actually, I put keywords, captions, etc, in the jpg file, so I suppose that makes the jpg the master from which I eventually want to propagate to the NEF version. But I wasn't there yet. I just first want to uderstand.

I understand versioning as described in the IMatch help as 'For example, if you process a RAW file and create a DNG, PSD or TIFF file from it, this new file becomes a version of the RAW file.'

In the attached screenshot I only want to propagate Label, because it is easy to correct.

ChrisMatch

Ok - thanks for the screenshot
can you also add one that shows the 'Detection' tab?

Let's try to get the usual case working (NEF = master, JPG = version).
If this works you could just exchange the extensions.

The regex should be no problem and the standard sample shipped with iMatch should work
in your case (your master and version only differs from the extension).

The more unusual thing is the directory where the jpgs are located.
But as far as I understand it you tried to directly point to the folder where the versions are stored.
I have never tried this myself but I think this should be ok.
The only problem is, that this is not a very generic solution and after we get this simple test configuration
up and running you should have a look at the 'Add pattern' feature.

Does someone else spot a problem here?

HansEverts

In the mean time I got the NEF=master option working. Not sure how, but it worked. Labels moved from NEF to JPG. Except that my JPGs were labelled and the NEFs were not, so I lost my labels (fortunately these are copies).

But now I want to go from JPG to NEF. I deleted the first expression to get rid of the links. Then I make the master: \.(jpg)$, and the link: ^{name}\.(nef)$. But nothing happens.

These were the simplest expressions I found.

Any suggestion and thanks for the patience?

HansEverts

The JPG to NEF also worked, but only for the file that was highlighted.  I used Entire database. Now I have to find how to version all files. I will get there, though.

HansEverts

I continued experimenting and I got it working from JPG to NEF. I used the attached settings.

It's a great feeling to see ratings and labels from JPG files move automatically to the NEF version. Now I can explore other options. But I can also see the dangers, so better to start very slowly before becoming over-ambitious.

ChrisMatch

Quote from: HansEverts on September 04, 2013, 11:19:49 PM
The JPG to NEF also worked, but only for the file that was highlighted.  I used Entire database. Now I have to find how to version all files. I will get there, though.
Not sure: does this mean you have already used 'Commands > Relations > Refresh Relations' after selecting the whole database (or just the files for which you want to 'activate' the new relation definition)?

HansEverts

Quote from: ChrisMatch on September 05, 2013, 07:20:00 AM
Quote from: HansEverts on September 04, 2013, 11:19:49 PM
Not sure: does this mean you have already used 'Commands > Relations > Refresh Relations' after selecting the whole database (or just the files for which you want to 'activate' the new relation definition)

To be honest, I don't know anymore. I tried so much and perhaps I did not wait long enough to see the impact of each instruction.

But now there is another issue.
I moved the folder with thee NEF version. I used the relocate function, but it did not reconect. Then I deleted and recreated the link, but as you can see from the attachment, the "deleted" version keeps coming back. Any idea how to get rid of it?

Mario

The Relocate command allows you to update folders in your database after you have moved the folders outside of IMatch, in another application. You should use Relocate only as a last resort, when you or another application has moved files or folders.

If you want to move or copy a folder, always do that in IMatch. Only that allows IMatch to keep your database in synch.

As I wrote in your other post about the same issue, you have changed your folder layout by moving folders or relocating folders (I'm a bit fuzzy about what you actually did with Relocate). Relocating a folder or moving it will not break version links immediately. You have to refresh the relations so IMatch can look at your folders using your current relation rules, to find masters and versions. This will remove no longer valid links, and create new links as needed.

Select the Database node in the Media & Folders View, then <F4>,<R>

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook