Annotation font changes in text...

Started by Aubrey, January 27, 2018, 05:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

When one makes a change to the font in the annotations section one has to press "OK" to see the change.

Is it a lot of work to have an "apply" button so that one can see the changes immediately without closing the font window?

Often I open the font size a few times to make changes to ensure that I get the size of text I would like in a particular image.

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Mario

This is a good idea.

I first thought that this could not be so hard to do...but it was of course much more complicated that I had anticipated.
Several "callbacks" triggered by the button in the grid, the editor, calling up the Windows font dialog, which requires me to implement another callback to be able to deal with the apply button...then from there all the way back to updating the data model behind the Annotations.

Anyway, it works and will be part of the next paid upgrade. Just kidding. Or not? Probably you would buy an upgrade to get this...??  ;)
I'll throw it in for free into the next release and hope that you'll purchase the next paid upgrade anyway.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

That was fast. It will save me a lot of time thanks. I did not expect a mod so quickly.
As soon as new version is released I'll be buying!   :D

How difficult would a similar implemention be for foreground I.e. Font color?

Thanks
Aubrey

Mario

Quote from: Aubrey on January 27, 2018, 10:45:58 PM
How difficult would a similar implemention be for foreground I.e. Font color?
1. Why did you not ask for this with your initial request? I've already switched my development focus back to other things.
2. I don't see that this is as useful as the first change. I doubt that many users fiddle with the font color as often as with the size.
3. The color dialog does not support an Apply button (limitation in the 3rd party user interface component). Possible to overcome but way to complex. And I would also have to add special handling not only for the text color but also border colors etc. I doubt that many users will ever see the current implementation as a limitation.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on January 28, 2018, 08:38:51 AM
1. Why did you not ask for this with your initial request? I've already switched my development focus back to other things.

I didn't want to be too greedy and the font colour was a much lower priority!

2. I don't see that this is as useful as the first change. I doubt that many users fiddle with the font color as often as with the size.

You are right, not as important, sometimes on a sky, a white font does not show up well, and a darker font is better, black is too heavy,  I tried using colored but often didn't work well. I've pretty well got this pinned down now.l;  I now use shades of grey.

3. The color dialog does not support an Apply button (limitation in the 3rd party user interface component). Possible to overcome but way to complex. And I would also have to add special handling not only for the text color but also border colors etc. I doubt that many users will ever see the current implementation as a limitation.

Definitely not worth spending time over given that the apply dialog does not support Apply button; I had thought that perhaps it would be a simple cut-n-paste of the code.

I'd rather you got on with 2018, so I have the opportunity of purchasing the upgrade. Again thank you for the quick implementation of the "Apply button" for the font. When I have had cropped images font was too big  Sometimes I had jpg rather than raw again font changes were required. This enhancement will save some time.

Aubrey.