Allow certain functions to work regardless of panel focus...

Started by Jingo, February 14, 2018, 02:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jingo

Hi Mario - just throwing this idea out there because it is something I run into all the time.... Here is a typical workflow for me:

1 - select a group of photos
2 - add keywords via Keywords Panel
3 - add location data via Map Panel
4 - write metadata back to selected images... rinse/repeat

In order to use the Shift/Alt/S shortcut to write the metadata back - I have to click or give focus back to the main "thumbnail" panel.... my request would be to define a group of functions that work regardless of which panel has focus... things that do not conflict with commands within that panel... such as metadata write-back.  I can see this being useful for a variety of items... I know I can also change my workflow to just write these back at the very end or create an app that is visible as well.... but thought it was worth seeing what you and others think about this.

Or perhaps a new function to allow you to assign panel numbers and quickly switch to that panel via a shortcut key(ie: F6 key)...?

Thoughts?

Mario

Ctrl+Alt+S writes back MD to all selected files.
It's not an operation most users do all the time they change metadata. Maybe switch IMatch to write-back immediately if you need that so often.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

HI Mario - I can try switching the "real time" write-back on to see how performance is in the lasted 64 bit release... I have that option turned off because it really slowed things down in older versions.. but it was a long time ago.

Surprised to hear that most users do not write metadata back into the files?  I thought that was a "best practice" to ensure your metatada is view-able in any application that can read it?  I have always written the metadata back into the files so I can move from program to program as needed .. am I along in this?  Or do you mean they don't write the metadata back each time and "bulk" update the files weekly/monthly, etc?

In either case - I can get around this by altering my workflow.. but I am surprised that some operations only work within the scope of the panel... and not globaly.. I would think global operations would always want to trump local panel operations if there isn't a conflict?  Thx - Andy.

Mario

Users write back metadata into files - but not each time they change something in the metadata panel. Or at least not that often that this would require a change in the keyboard processing in IMatch. I, for example, write back all files when I've finished a batch of photos.

If a user works with multiple applications at the same time, enabling the automatic write-back is mandatory anyway, to avoid accidental data loss.

"Some operations" .... "scope of the panel" ... that's quite unclear.
Keyboard shortcuts are defined on a per command bases. Not all panels offer the same commands. Sometimes a deeply nested window hierarchy makes it impossible to process shortcuts defined elsewhere. Routing all keyboard input through dozens of layers of command handlers in the hope to find someĀ“thing would slow IMatch down, interfere with typing and other keyboard commands. I'm not quite sure what you expect, but there are keyboard shortcuts for most commands and see my last post for the keyboard shortcut for write-back.

You can also always go through the menus using <Alt> and the indicated accelerator key in the menu command. <Alt>+ <C> for the commands menu, then <R> for the Wite-back options.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Jingo on February 14, 2018, 02:12:03 PM... my request would be to define a group of functions that work regardless of which panel has focus... things that do not conflict with commands within that panel... such as metadata write-back.  I can see this being useful for a variety of items...

I second that. Has been bugging me many times. Many keyboard shortcuts are pretty much useless to me because I have to first grab the mouse anyway to click on the panel I want to do something in, so I just do it all by mouse.

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on February 15, 2018, 08:37:33 AM
Users write back metadata into files - but not each time they change something in the metadata panel. Or at least not that often that this would require a change in the keyboard processing in IMatch. I, for example, write back all files when I've finished a batch of photos.

If a user works with multiple applications at the same time, enabling the automatic write-back is mandatory anyway, to avoid accidental data loss.

"Some operations" .... "scope of the panel" ... that's quite unclear.
Keyboard shortcuts are defined on a per command bases. Not all panels offer the same commands. Sometimes a deeply nested window hierarchy makes it impossible to process shortcuts defined elsewhere. Routing all keyboard input through dozens of layers of command handlers in the hope to find someĀ“thing would slow IMatch down, interfere with typing and other keyboard commands. I'm not quite sure what you expect, but there are keyboard shortcuts for most commands and see my last post for the keyboard shortcut for write-back.

You can also always go through the menus using <Alt> and the indicated accelerator key in the menu command. <Alt>+ <C> for the commands menu, then <R> for the Wite-back options.

Thx Mario for your thoughts... I think I might need to just re-adjust my workflow a bit.  Granted, my workflow was born out of older versions and may not be the most ideal at this "technology" point in time.  I'll try turning on the auto-writeback and/or just batch write at the end of the session.  The only reason I started doing things this way was to avoid a huge bottleneck during write-back at the end or while I was performing work in IMatch (auto-write on).  However... this is 2018, we have 64-bit IMatch and my own system is beefier as well.... perhaps its time to change my ways!

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Jingo on February 15, 2018, 01:12:51 PM

...  The only reason I started doing things this way was to avoid a huge bottleneck during write-back at the end or while I was performing work in IMatch (auto-write on).  However... this is 2018, we have 64-bit IMatch and my own system is beefier as well.... perhaps its time to change my ways!

Maybe in your case this could be fine.
In my case I did the same for the same reason, write-back on was too slow, I had to wait always and it did hinder my workflow.
I tried it just now again: no chance, too slow for me.

BUT I have to say, that I have 260'000 files and this is surely also a reason.

I work again with autowrite-back off, but I have to say, this is not a problem for me.
From time to time I go to the collection to the "Pending metadata-Writeback" and let IMatch do it. No problem.

If I work with Photoshop, I have only to be aware, that I have to do the write-back (by hand) before open them in PS.
But also this is not a problem, it is only a question of a correct workflow.

Hence, for me not a problem.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

This of course depends on the size of your database.
You have 260,000 files and when I recall correctly about 10,000 categories!
And a very complex file window layout with many variables.

Writing back even a single file not only writes back the file but also causes a re-load of the modified metadata.
This invalidates all categories and collections. Data-driven categories may need to be recalculated immediately (!) because your workspace uses them somewhere (you have the category panel open or even used category variables in your File Window layout).

And recalculating one or more data-driven categories for a database with 260,000 files and approximately 80 million metadata records is an operation that takes some time - even with IMatch and on a fast machine.

This is why the default is to write-back files when it is convenient, e.g. when you fetch yourself a coffee or over night.
As you said, doing this once n a while (e.g. after you've finished processing a batch of files) is easy and convenient.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Yeah.. I think I'm just going to rethink my workflow... and batch update the images for writeback over time when it is convenient (ie: overnight). 

Mario

IMatch usually writes-back at rates of about 1 file per second (depends on the file format, the computer and other factors). 600 files typically are done in 7 to 10 minutes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator