Imatch stops working while deleting files

Started by jelvers, March 29, 2018, 09:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jelvers

I am using IMatch 2017_14_2_x64. Today I checked some files in VIEW Mode and deleted those (in VIEW) mode, which I didn't want to have. After leaving view mode in order to return to file mode, the deletion process starts, but after a few seconds IMatch stops.

I never came across this problem before. I have attached the debug logfile.

Regards, Juergen

P.S. Just realised that the delete mode via CTRL DEL in file mode shows the same behaviour a smentioned above. Imatch just stops working.

jelvers

In addition to my earlier observation I want to add the following: I just restarted IMatch and without going into VIEW Mode began to delete (via CTRL DEL) some files in FILE mode. Worked perfect. Then I went into VIEW Mode, left the mode and back again in FILE Mode I began deleting several files. Same thing happened again as before: IMatch stopped working.

Regards, Juergen

Mario

What do you mean with VIEW mode or FILE mode?
Do you use your own terms for looking at files in the Viewer or looking files in the file window?

Which file formats are you using?
Did you save a log file from a session where IMatch ran into the problem? Then please ZIP and attach.
See this post for information about how to provide a problem report.

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=22.0

The more info we have the easier it is to help you. Maybe IMatch records errors or warnings to the log file etc.

If you use the Viewer IMatch uses Windows WIC (and whatever codec is installed on your system) and also DirectX/Direct2D to render the files.
If IMatch stops responding while writing or deleting files, there is a good chance that Windows WIC has the files still locked or your virus checker is getting in the way.

If you close IMatch and then delete the files from the file window without a problem, the problem is caused by something locking the files (Windows WIC or DirectX or virus checker). And IMatch then sits and waits for the lock to become unlocked or for Windows to return from the "delete file" operation with an error message. Which does not seem to happen.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jelvers

Quote from: Mario on March 29, 2018, 01:55:46 PM
What do you mean with VIEW mode or FILE mode?
Do you use your own terms for looking at files in the Viewer or looking files in the file window?
I looked at files in the Viewer (I called it "Viewer Mode") and I looked at files in the file window (I called it "File mode"). Hope it's clear now.

Did you save a log file from a session where IMatch ran into the problem? Then please ZIP and attach.
But I attached the logfile, didn't I?

Which file formats are you using?
The files were in Canon's CR2 Raw format.

...........or your virus checker is getting in the way.
Am using Kaspersky and defined an exception for Imatch.

If you close IMatch and then delete the files from the file window without a problem, the problem is caused by something locking the files (Windows WIC or DirectX or virus checker). And IMatch then sits and waits for the lock to become unlocked or for Windows to return from the "delete file" operation with an error message. Which does not seem to happen.
What do you mean by "something locking the files"? Any advice for me how to deal with it?

Reagards, Juergen

Mario

Sorry, working mobile. Did not see the log.

At least in this log file, IMatch is happily deleting files. Many. No errors or warnings.  Typical time to delete a file and remove all associated database objects is 0.1s.
Maybe IMatch was still processing? How long did you wait for the dialog to update or o away?

Looking would be on the operating system level. When you look at a file in the Viewer Match creates a cache image from the RAW (if it does not already exists or is outdated). Else it just loads the cache image via Windows WIC into DirectX. If something in that process locks either the original file or the cache file, IMatch may be blocked when deleting files. But I see no trace of this in your log. The last entry is a finished RemoveFile operation.

I made a quick check and I have no problems deleting files after looking at them in the Viewer. Tried two computers. No similar bug reports from other users.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jelvers

Quote from: Mario on March 29, 2018, 04:26:33 PM
Maybe IMatch was still processing? How long did you wait for the dialog to update or o away?

Thanks, Mario. Well, I waited for ca. 20 min.

Actually I believe little by little that something is odd with my computer. All these things never showed up earlier. I wonder whether the Windows or other program permanent updates finally caused the problems in my machine.

Anyway, have a nice Easter!

Best regards, Juergen

Mario

In such obscure cases, a good candidate is always the anti-virus....

Has IMatch already created cache images for the files you want to delete? E.g.. Look at the files without deleting. Close and re-open IMatch. Go into Viewer, mark for deletion and then close the Viewer and delete.
In this context only the built-in WIC codec for JPEG will be used, but no 3rd party WIC codec for Canon RAW.
If this also fails, only a file system monitor (from sysinternals) can help to show which files are locked and by which process. Although, if the file is locked by WIC / DirectX for whatever reason, the process will be "imatch.exe"...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jelvers

Quote from: Mario on March 29, 2018, 07:51:13 PM
In such obscure cases, a good candidate is always the anti-virus....
I deactivated Kasperksy, but the same thing happened.

Has IMatch already created cache images for the files you want to delete? E.g.. Look at the files without deleting. Close and re-open IMatch. Go into Viewer, mark for deletion and then close the Viewer and delete.
In this context only the built-in WIC codec for JPEG will be used, but no 3rd party WIC codec for Canon RAW.
If this also fails, only a file system monitor (from sysinternals) can help to show which files are locked and by which process. Although, if the file is locked by WIC / DirectX for whatever reason, the process will be "imatch.exe"...
Unfortunately the same result as mentioned before.

Somehow the use of the Viewer initiates some other process which then makes IMatch waiting for "something". If I for instance do not delete the selected files in the Viewer but Red Flag them whilst leaving the Viewer, an immediate deletion of those red flag files (via crtl del) will again make IMatch stop. But if I leave IMatch (without deleting the red flag files) and restart it and then select all red flag files and delete them it works perfectly.

I do not know sysmon but I have some experience with procmon.

Regards and thks again for your help....

Best.....

Juergen

Mario

This is what I'm trying to explain. For some reason, WIC or DirectX locks the images you look at in the Viewer, which prevents deletion. Closing the initiating process (IMatch in this case) releases these locks.
Since I cannot reproduce this here and no other user has reported a similar issue, this is very likely some weird combination of installed software, Windows version that causes this.
I know that IMatch releases all WIC resources so there should be no locks.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jelvers

Quote from: Mario on March 31, 2018, 07:47:06 AM
This is what I'm trying to explain. For some reason, WIC or DirectX locks the images you look at in the Viewer, which prevents deletion. Closing the initiating process (IMatch in this case) releases these locks.
Since I cannot reproduce this here and no other user has reported a similar issue, this is very likely some weird combination of installed software, Windows version that causes this.
I know that IMatch releases all WIC resources so there should be no locks.

Sorry to come back to this topic again. I haven't solved the problem yet but found that IMatch showed some "locks" again, which seems to have nothing to do with the deletion process. Does the attached message from the task manager concerning network I/O ring any other bell? Anything else I could check?

Thanks for all your suggestions so far.

Regards, Juergen

Mario

Temporarily disabled virus checker / WIndows defender?
Network I/O can mean many things. Are the files you are trying to delete on a network drive?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jelvers

Quote from: Mario on May 10, 2018, 01:53:05 PM
Temporarily disabled virus checker / WIndows defender?
Network I/O can mean many things. Are the files you are trying to delete on a network drive?

Answer to both questions: no

Will do further work and come back, if solution was found.

Regards, Juergen