IMatch 2018 Sneak Peak: The New "Help System" App

Started by Mario, April 01, 2018, 12:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

As time permitted I have worked on the new Help System App for IMatch. I'm at maybe 80% completion now.

I plan to include the new help system as an Electron App as part of IMatch 2018, replacing the old Microsoft CHM help used now.
And to offer the same contents as an on-line version, directly at the photools.com web site!
This allows you to read the IMatch help in any web browser, on any device. And to use built-in translation services offered by your browser.

I have already written the presentation part. Converted the structures and table of contents from CHM.
Created scripts which I can run to extract keywords and words from all help pages, in a format that can be easily consumed by JavaScript.

I have written a better search engine than we had in CHM, combining both the CHM "Help Index" and "Search" tabs into one search function.
When you type a search sting, the help app searches not only the hand-grafted keyword index I maintain but also the full-text of all help topics. This is so fast that it is performed in real-time while you type. Like Google  ;)

The app presents the search results (page titles) at the top. When you click on a link, the page is loaded in the lower half. This allows you to quickly peek at search results until you have found what you were looking for. Then you close the search results to see the page at 100% height. Works great.

This is how the new help app looks (while you are searching) in a web browser.
It will look the same in the Electron App I will include in IMatch 2018: (Click image to zoom)

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Sounds good. I have found that a keyword search in the current chm files have limited use. However, as I as I have become experienced I know in which section to look.
Aubrey

Mario

The keyword search tab in CHM help files only works on the keywords I manually assign to every topic.
The Search tab searches full text.

So if you cannot find it now, you won't be able to find in the new help either. Because it uses the same keywords I have assigned, and also searches the same text.
If you think a keyword should be associated with a help topic, let me know via the "Send Feedback" link available at the bottom of each topic.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

BanjoTom

— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

pmbvw

This sounds great.

Vor allem auch wegen der "Browser built-in translation services".
"German" ist halt für mich einfacher zu lesen bei den teilweisen komplexen und schwer verständlichen Themen

Browser translated :-):
Especially because of the "browser built-in translation services".
"German" is just easier to read for me in the partially complex and difficult to understand topics

Mees Dekker

This would really be a great step forward.

I noticed that I have been able to talk people into IMatch, because there is a Dutch translation. But these people are all looking for a Dutch help system. This could be of major importance to them.

Mario

Quote from: Mees Dekker on April 02, 2018, 08:14:17 AM
This would really be a great step forward.

I noticed that I have been able to talk people into IMatch, because there is a Dutch translation. But these people are all looking for a Dutch help system. This could do be of major importance to them.

Yes. This is one of the main reasons, in addition to easier access from non-PC devices.
Being able to translate the IMatch help with the press of a button in "your" language will be a much welcome enhancement for many users.
I plan to move the Quick Start Guide also from PDF to HTML format, so we have this accessible too.

Having stuff on-line allows me to incorporate corrections and additions faster. To link in the tutorial videos etc.
For off-line use of the help IMatch will include a "help app". I think I will make the on-line help the default for when you press <F1> in IMatch, but with an option to favor the locally installed help.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

thrinn

QuoteI think I will make the on-line help the default for when you press <F1> in IMatch, but with an option to favor the locally installed help
Sounds good  :)

Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

Quote from: thrinn on April 02, 2018, 08:22:03 PM
QuoteI think I will make the on-line help the default for when you press <F1> in IMatch, but with an option to favor the locally installed help
Sounds good  :)
The online-help part or the off-line help with app part?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Datameta

What a nice surprise, because some days ago (on the support channel) it seemed I'd had to go with chm-apps when buying.  :)

Electron sounds like a good choice, wide support out there and a large and still growing community. I'm keen to see the memory footprint of the app.

thrinn

QuoteThe online-help part or the off-line help with app part?
Personally, I will use the online help mostly, because my usage of IMatch is stationary with a stable internet connection. But having it offline available e.g. when travelling is an valuable addition.
I also like the approach to use a HTML based help instead of CHM because I had sometimes problems reading the help file on my (Android) tablet. I use an app which is capable of reading CHM files but sometimes the screenshots were not displayed, sometimes it seemed that the links from one chapter to the next were not working correctly. All in all, a mixed experience. Mind, I do not blame IMatch for these problems, maybe they were caused by the reader app, but I think CHM is just a format that is not well supported on Android.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA