A better visual help, in what category (and maybe folder) currently I am

Started by sinus, April 11, 2018, 11:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi everybody

If you have only  few categories and/or folders, my feature request is not really interesting for you.
But if you have many categories, and have colored them, then it is often difficult to see which category you are in and my FR could be one possible help.

The title clearly shows the name of the category, in what we are.
But with many and colored categories it is not easy to see this.

For this reason I would like an additional visual note in the list where I am currently.
It'll become clearer what I mean when you look at the attachement.

On the left a section from a normal category view. IMatch highlights the category we're in, but it's hard to see in so many colors.
Or do you see it?

Therefore, a possible visual aid could be a frame, like in the middle.
Or like on the right side a (here yellow) point.

There are certainly other helpful optical possibilities.
The same is also true for folders, where you could offer exactly the same visual help.

That's not very important now, but especially when I'm jumping from panel to panel, I often would have been very happy to see better where I am right now.

Thanks for thinking about this.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

JohnZeman

Markus I just look at the title bar above the file window, it tells me exactly which category I'm in.

ubacher

I have been bothered by this the same as Sinus has. So I suggest a feature request - I give it a +1

sinus

Quote from: JohnZeman on April 12, 2018, 12:41:30 AM
Markus I just look at the title bar above the file window, it tells me exactly which category I'm in.

Thanks, John.
Very nice of you.

But I know this (I have written it, but not so clear "The title clearly shows the name of the category, in what we are.").

The problem is, in a case like your attachement this is not necessary.
But if you are using several colors for your categories, then it is not easy to find the category, in what you are, even if you know the name of the category.
Markus

Mario

How the "focused" or "selected" categories (in case you select multiple categories) is rendered is controlled by the 3rd party user interface toolkit and not under my control.
Also, you are using quite "bold" colors and maybe restricting yourself to a more subdued color palette will make it easier to see which of the categories is selected.
I doubt that many users use as many colors as you, or as bright ones.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on April 12, 2018, 08:28:07 AM
How the "focused" or "selected" categories (in case you select multiple categories) is rendered is controlled by the 3rd party user interface toolkit and not under my control.
Also, you are using quite "bold" colors and maybe restricting yourself to a more subdued color palette will make it easier to see which of the categories is selected.
I doubt that many users use as many colors as you, or as bright ones.

Thanks,
Of course I have a bit exaggerated the colours to show it better.
But if you look at John's example, if you add only 2 colors more for categories and if you have a long list of categories it is really not always easy to see quickly, where you are.
Specially if you jump to another panel (like Folders), works a bit there and jump back.

I have to look often quite long to find, where I am.

But since it is not in your hands to give a help here, IMatch can nothing do here.
It is like it is.
Markus

Carlo Didier

Hmm, I see your problem, though I don't have it myself as I don't use colors.
IMHO, coloring categories was probably meant to make a small number of "special" categories stick out, not to color all of them.
Like having a category "needs to identify person(s)" and make that yellow, for example.

sinus

Thanks, Carlo

Yes, IMatch give us the possibility to add colors. But it is not always good to use this, like it seems.
To see it better I made a completely new DB.

Then I looked at the automatically produced categories.
As you can see in attachement 1, IMatch uses also some colors, but only for text!
Hence it is quite easy to see, in what category we are.

As soon as we use background colors, like in the attachement 2, the "problem" begins.
Depends of course also on the colors we used it is not more easy to see the category, we are in.

John for example used also background colors, but only one. If he had used only 2-3 colors more (for each month for example), it would be also not that easy to spot the category we are in.

The first attachement is the real list of IMatch for new DBs. If we think at some more categories and colors, then it will be even harder.

But since Mario cannot do here something, I have to live with that. Maybe I change away from using background colors.
Markus

Mario

The colors for the focused and selected tree items are controlled by Windows and/or the user interface toolkit. Not by IMatch.
Try to pick colors which differ from the default color. On my system selected categories are using a blue background and all Windows tree controls indicate the focused tree item with a focus border. But the focused tree item name is shown in the File Window Caption bar so there should never be a doubt.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on April 12, 2018, 12:10:02 PM
Try to pick colors which differ from the default color. On my system selected categories are using a blue background ...

Thanks Mario,
yep, here the selected categories are also blue.
The proposal of you is the right way, I think.
Markus