Imatch is SLOW stopping to continually processing something...

Started by Gregstah, June 02, 2018, 11:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregstah

Hi, I have had a very difficult time moving to from Imatch 3. I LOOOVE Imatch 6 but it continually stints my workflow by freezing while it processes something while I'm searching or generally trying to do something. You know enough time waiting to get you doing something else. I am seriously ADHD so this doesn't help the problem.
I'd really like to get to the bottom of this because I'm sure I must have some sort of setting wrong.

When it's not "thinking" it's amazing and works like a dream but then just as I move to another program and come back or I go to a new folder it starts crawling while it processes ...

Here is my  setup.
Intel: 7700K
Ram: 32gig
Win10Pro

Database located on fileserver within network computer:
Intel Xeon E5-2670 2 processors
32gig ram 64 bit
Windows server 2016

I'm pretty sure one of the suggestions is going to be to move the database to the local machine, I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Database size 10Gig, Files 445,531, Folders 5631

All files are online on the server as I don't index raws or videos

I've attached the latest log file if that helps.

Any suggestions or help would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Greg

Mario

QuoteDatabase located on fileserver within network computer:

That may be already it.
The recommendation is to store the database on the fastest local disk, SSD preferred.

Storing the database on a remote machine and forcing IMatch to transfer every bit over a network is the worst case scenario, performance-wise.
Even a normal disk is hundreds of times faster than a network.

Also, your database manages almost 500,000 (!) files from 6,000 folders. This is quite a lot.

You are combining a very large database with slow network storage. This will result in performance issues. Especially with background tasks like data-driven category or collection updates.

IMatch reports many unusually slow operations. It takes almost 110 seconds (!) to open your database. A 500,000 files database opens from a SSD in about 10 seconds! 10 times faster.

Relation manager updates in the background take almost a minute, instead of a few seconds.

Can't tell more, the log file stops shortly after IMatch has loaded the database. But I'm sure all operations which require database access will be at least 5 or 10 times slower than using a database stored locally.

For a test. move your database to the local hard disk in your computer (SSD preferred). You should notice a vast difference in performance.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Patrick

Hi there,
I still have issues with the performance of IMatch:
My catalog/database is on my C-Drive, M.2 SSD. Currently, I'm working on around 1300 pictures from a client's shooting and it takes 17 Minutes to write metadata.
The photos from the shoot are on a second fast SSD-Drive, internal. Windows Task manager doesn't indicate that my system is overloaded.

The rest of my data is either on an internal HD or an external (USB 3) RAID 5 system.

I disabled Windows Antivirus for the IMatch Folder.

- Is it normal that it takes so long to write metadata to around 1300 pictures on an internal SSD Drive?
- How come that IMatch is slow and crashes time and again (resp. it stops responding and I have to force quit it in order to keep working)?
- How come IMatch stops working when I change from "Folders" to collections, for instance?

Thank you for your support
Patrick

Mario

This depends on many factors. File format. The amount of work ExifTool has to do. RAW and TIFF is slower than JPG. It takes longer to write a 500 MB PSD than it takes to write a 3 MB JPEG. And so on.
Also, IMatch writes back multiple files at a time if possible.

Please include a log file (log file) from this session. This will show us what IMatch is doing and how long things take.
Switch to debug logging (Help > Support) so we get a detailed log file.

I've made a quick test here. Writing back 350 JPEG files takes less than 10 seconds.
Writing back 100 RAW files (NEF, D-800) takes 6 seconds - if IMatch only needs to update the XMP files (changed label only).
Writing back 100 RAW files (NEF, D-800) takes about 20-30 seconds of IMatch also updates the EXIF in the RAW.
I have a fairly new PC with very fast storage. On a normal SSD, this may take two or 3 times longer.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook