Map: selected images doesn't update map & FIND no longer working

Started by Jingo, August 08, 2018, 01:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jingo

Hi.. not sure if this is working as designed but is not what I expected:

1 - Selected an image with GPS data.  The Map panel shows the correct location when the image is selected.
2 - CTRL-select a 2nd image with GPS data that differs from the first.  The Map panel still shows the location of the first selected image even though that image is not the focused item any longer.  The preview panel shows the image of the focused image.
3 - CTRL-select the first image again - the map panel shows the location of the 2nd image (the one from step #2) though the preview panel is correctly showing the focused image.

The help file indicates both images should display with the focused file in a different color... however, these images are very far apart from each other so perhaps the map panel has a threshold that prevents that? (one is from montreal.. the other massachusetts). 

Note: I did try with 2 photos from Montreal... though a few blocks apart.  The map panel still only shows one of the images... UNTIL I manually zoom the map out - then both images and icons appeared.  Should the map panel "resize" to auto-show both images?  The option: Auto-Center to focused file is turn on as well.

Thx for thoughts/comments Mario!

Mario

The map panel should show all selected files. Is this the case?
I just checked and it does.
Ctrl Select focuses the image and removes the selection. Keep that in mind. When you do this twice, you de-selected at least one image.

The map will not zoom out to encompass all selected files. There is a button for that in the toolbar. Did you try that?
It should center around the focused/selected image. Is this the case?
This is supposed to work with one (!) file selected/focused only. Not when there is a multi-file selection.

Which version of IMatch do you use?
Which map provider do you use?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Hi Mario - ok.. so, perhaps I am just thinking about "focused file" incorrectly.  I attached a small gif that shows what I was trying to do.. if this example, the focused file (cat) shows the correct marker on the map and the preview windows shows the cat.  When I ctrl-click the building in Montreal, I expect the map panel to update to show this files location since it is now the focused file - the preview window (off screen) updates to show the building.  When I ctrl-click the cat again, the map panel shows the montreal file location.. though the preview window shows the cat again.  Looks like the map panel is using the last selected file over the focused file in this scenario?

I did forget about the "show all photos" button in the map panel.. that does then show all the selected items.  However, I did notice that this setting is not "sticky"... if you add a new selected photo to the group, the button unhighlights.  Not an issue - just a note to users because then you need to select it again to see all the pins.

IM 2018.8.2   Map: Google

Jingo

Hmm.. even more concerning - now the map panel "Find" feature is no longer working again... this happened in the past .. and it is happening again.  I have Geonames.org checked (though Google doesn't work either).  Valid api keys are defined in the options (I haven't changed these in a long time).

Select a file, go to map panel, hit "F", type in a location in the box (ie: 2 main street, portland maine).. nothing happens.  I tried my own address... no coordinates appear.

Log file doesn't show anything that I can see but it is attached.  Thoughts?

Jingo

Tried everything I can think of - cannot get the FIND feature to work any longer... anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

Mario

Searching via the provider is managed completely by the Map Panel. It does not log anything to the IMatch log file.

When you run the Map Panel in your browser and open the developer tools with <F12> the "Console" tab should show error messages and other warnings logged while communicating with the map provider  / search provider.

I see no problems with GeoNames.org for searching, but after a few tests Google Maps reports in the console that the "You have exceeded your daily request quota for this API. ".
Probably the have changed the search API now as well and demand a dedicated API key. Do you see the same error message in the console when searching with Google?

If so, try this work-around:

1. Open the file C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\webroot\imatch\apps\mapapp\find\find.js in your text editor.
2. Go go line 162 and change it to look like this (adding the  key: appCore.getGMapsKey() part)
3. Save the file, then restart IMatch.

Make sure the commas etc. are exactly as shown here:

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

In addition: Ctrl+click sets the focus on the file and toggles the selection. You need to Ctrl+click twice to change the focused files when multiple files are selected and to keep it selected. Ctrl+click alone is used to move the focus and toggle the selection of individual files in the multi-selection. You can see this in the file window caption. The Map Panel works accordingly, as far as I can follow your description.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on August 09, 2018, 02:04:35 PM
Searching via the provider is managed completely by the Map Panel. It does not log anything to the IMatch log file.

When you run the Map Panel in your browser and open the developer tools with <F12> the "Console" tab should show error messages and other warnings logged while communicating with the map provider  / search provider.

I see no problems with GeoNames.org for searching, but after a few tests Google Maps reports in the console that the "You have exceeded your daily request quota for this API. ".
Probably the have changed the search API now as well and demand a dedicated API key. Do you see the same error message in the console when searching with Google?

If so, try this work-around:

1. Open the file C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\webroot\imatch\apps\mapapp\find\find.js in your text editor.
2. Go go line 162 and change it to look like this (adding the  key: appCore.getGMapsKey() part)
3. Save the file, then restart IMatch.

Make sure the commas etc. are exactly as shown here:

Hmmm... it started working out the blue again... sigh... I'll check the browser next time this happens to see if there is a console error... certainly didn't use up any request quota!

Thx for the thoughts/ideas Mario!

Mario

The search request does not use your API key (I've changed that for the next release). So you use a 'free' search quota and only Google knows how many requests they allow without an API key (massive changes in June, all services now require a registration and API key).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on August 09, 2018, 11:26:05 PM
The search request does not use your API key (I've changed that for the next release). So you use a 'free' search quota and only Google knows how many requests they allow without an API key (massive changes in June, all services now require a registration and API key).

Interesting - so Google must have some "public/general" request limits in place now...

Guess it won't matter once IM uses the API key and I know it's not an IMatch thing - but it does get frustrating to the end user when these items just stop working... is it possible to monitor the response from google to determine they are throwing some sort of quota error and display that as an overlay in the panel?  or the console? 

Mario

All Google API calls need proper authentication since June. No more freebies. As they roll it out I try to remember and update all places in IMatch where it accesses Google services. I had forgotten to add the key to search request in the Map Panel, which is why. IMatch is huuuge... ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator