Copy the assigned categories of a file to several files

Started by KchoPrro, August 10, 2018, 10:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KchoPrro

Hi, I've been reviewing the help, I've also reviewed the forum messages and I have not found anything that can help me.

With imatch 3 it was very easy to copy and paste the attributes and assigned categories of a file to several selected ones in the same folder. The option was to "paste only attributes and categories", thus avoiding copying other data from the source file (name, for example).

With iMatch 2018 I have seen that the attributes can be copied, but I do not see how to paste the assigned categories.

In this image, I intend to assign / paste the categories the RAW file to the files created later.

Does anyone know how ??

KchoPrro

thrinn

Searching for "attri" in the new online help, I immediately get "Copying Attributes" as one of the results. And the screenshot shows how to specify if categories should be copied also. To save you the searching, here is the link to the relevant help page:
https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#paste_attributes.htm
(A VERY nice feature from having the help online is that it is much easier to share links to specific chapters :-) )

But if you want to automate things I would strongly recommend to check the help for "File relations" and versioning. Automatic versioning is a very distinctive feature compared to IMatch 3.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

KchoPrro

Oh, very simple!  :-[

I thought that attributes were only copied attributes, nothing more. In fact, for those photos, I entered attributes and copied and pasted them to the other photos, but I did not find the way to do it with the categories. Now, I see that it is very simple, I copy everything and, at the time of pasting the attributes, I indicate which ones I want to paste (and it allows to paste many fields).

Thank you very much, question answered, I was looking at the options of the categories, so I could not find anything.  :)

I'm glad to see that Mario is not alone here, a lot of work for him ;)

KchoPrro

Mario

The terms attributes and properties are used for many things (unfortunately). Since the Copy Attributes dialog allows you to copy metadata, categories, IMatch Attributes etc. it was hard to find a name for it. Since it is named "Copy Attributes" for 5 years now, its hard to change that.

When you search for copy, the first hit is the right thing. I will see if I can add some more text to that.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

KchoPrro

Ok, Mario, thanks, now that I understand it seems very simple, it's the same as before, but with more options.

It is true that in iMatch 3, you copied and could choose, in a single step, paste properties (attributes) and categories only. Now it is necessary to indicate what attributes you want to paste but I understand that it is normal, there is a lot of information that can be stuck, before there was not so much, for that reason I understand that it is necessary to specify more, iMatch 2018 is much more complete, it seems good to me .

It's a great job, I'm seeing many things that I like about iMatch 2018 and many other things that I still do not understand, I need time.

It's a shame not to have a 100% Spanish version, I know you've added some translation (in iMatch 3 not even that), but there are so many things that if you do not know English well (I studied French, and many years ago), it's something more complicated to understand some functions. Luckily, there are online translators that help you, but it requires effort and time and therefore it is a little complicated for me to see the news.

Greetings and thanks for so much work!

KchoPrro

Mario

The Paste Attributes command has learned many new things since IMatch 3. And it can be used more precisely. Also, metadata standards have evolved a lot since IMatch 3, and many things we need to support today in our files did not exist when IMatch 3 was the latest version.

IMatch can be translated into multiple languages. I do the English and German versions, volunteers help with the translation into other languages.
But translating IMatch is a massive task (for the initial translation) and then there are some changes to incorporate for each new version. And as it is with volunteers, they may lose interest, have more important things to do, move to Linux or MacOS or whatever...

I plan to handle this in machine translation in the future, now that the systems start to be good enough.

For translating Apps, IMatch has a very comfortable tool named App Translator (in the App Panel). This tool makes it very easy to create translations, and it even uses machine translation based on artificial intelligence (see Translating IMatch App with the App Translator for more info.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

KchoPrro

Quote from: Mario on August 10, 2018, 02:58:42 PM
For translating Apps, IMatch has a very comfortable tool named App Translator (in the App Panel). This tool makes it very easy to create translations, and it even uses machine translation based on artificial intelligence (see Translating IMatch App with the App Translator for more info.

It sounds very good, I will help in any way I can. Thank you!!

KchoPrro